Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

My Pelican cooler is a year old and I don't remember it looking like this last time I had used it. The sides are noticeably concave. Doesn't look right. Does anyone else see this in there Pelican cooler? They have I lifetime guarantee, but wanted to check with the contingent here before I call them on this.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I've noticed mine bulging out a bit.

I love that thing, went for a week in Moab this spring -- One block of ice, one bag of ice. Still ice in it when I got home.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It hasn't let me down as far as keeping ice over the last year, but thinner sides could mean less insulation and these coolers aren't cheap. I sent the pic to Pelican to see what they say.

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
Everyone would buy a yeti if they came with a free girl inside.

Follow-up

Josh's pelican that is still at my house is perfectly flat, no warping.

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
yeah a Vietnamese import that lies on actual size VS an American made product with a lifetime warranty.... Hmm. Oh yeah your selling a yeti with a hot lady inside of it.
I hear ya. And I'm a support made in the US more than most but I put these two side by side in a 9 month mil trial and the yeti just performed better when it came to ice retention. Yes the yeti latching system is crap compared to peli and yetis have a heavier dry weight but we decided it wasn't worth the compromise.

Bottom line though is they are both light years ahead of what we have been using for years and I'd gladly use either. Even if it didn't come with a cute chick that has an ass that won't quit ;)

------ Follow up post added July 23rd, 2014 10:28 AM ------

yeah a Vietnamese import that lies on actual size VS an American made product with a lifetime warranty.... Hmm. Oh yeah your selling a yeti with a hot lady inside of it.

Wait, how do they lie on size?

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I hear ya. And I'm a support made in the US more than most but I put these two side by side in a 9 month mil trial and the yeti just performed better when it came to ice retention. Yes the yeti latching system is crap compared to peli and yetis have a heavier dry weight but we decided it wasn't worth the compromise.

Bottom line though is they are both light years ahead of what we have been using for years and I'd gladly use either. Even if it didn't come with a cute chick that has an ass that won't quit ;)

------ Follow up post added July 23rd, 2014 10:28 AM ------

Wait, how do they lie on size?
http://www.pelicancases.com/pelican-vs-yeti-s/141.htm

I never performed the test but apparently if you actually measure the capacity it comes up shorter than advertised. I heard this from one of the competitors, and they use it as a selling point.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
Interesting! Our agency has 600 yetis deployed but I'm not at a tactical level anymore to know if they are breaking the latches. Peli is awesome **** cannot ever argue with that.

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
Polyethylene has a melting point of around 240 degrees fahrenheit. The boiling point of water is 212.

At high temperatures, it will easily warp.

The low melting point of polyethylene is its greatest weakness. Next greatest weakness is creep. Otherwise, the stuff is amazingly durable.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Polyethylene has a melting point of around 240 degrees fahrenheit. The boiling point of water is 212. At high temperatures, it will easily warp. The low melting point of polyethylene is its greatest weakness. Next greatest weakness is creep. Otherwise, the stuff is amazingly durable.
I will have to take a closer look but I don't think they are polywarpathene. I think they are a proprietary mix of glass filled nylon. TPO would be my second guess but I doubt it.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The weather here very temperate. Lowest temp the cooler has seen is 20 degrees. The warmest is 93. The highest altitude is a mountain pass at 3000 feet. Don't know what happened to it, but Pelican said they will replace it no questions asked. But, I have to pay shipping both ways.

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
body polywarpylene
handle tpe
latch abs

failure looks either like heat, or something heavy rested on the top for a long time.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
body polywarpylene handle tpe latch abs failure looks either like heat, or something heavy rested on the top for a long time.
I think it was an insulation failure that led to weakness in the walls makes no sense to use regular poly with the extreme differences between the inside and outside (thermo expansion coefficients between the inside outside..... Or some other nerdy engineering term). :)

Ok I have to eat crow. It is polyethylene based on the spec sheet. I bet is is a cross linked poly and not regular poly.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just loaded the cooler with ice for the weekend and noticed the back side and top both have similar warping. Also, one plug on the back, likely used to fill with insulation during manufacture, is loose.
There is no extreme heat here in western WA. I think this is likely an isolated issue as no one else here seems to have experienced this, but I'm not sure if I should incur the cost of shipping both ways for the warranty or cut my loses and find a new cooler.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Are the walls supposed to be vacuum sealed? Might of lost seal and possible altitude change made the walls retract slightly.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
I just loaded the cooler with ice for the weekend and noticed the back side and top both have similar warping. Also, one plug on the back, likely used to fill with insulation during manufacture, is loose.
There is no extreme heat here in western WA. I think this is likely an isolated issue as no one else here seems to have experienced this, but I'm not sure if I should incur the cost of shipping both ways for the warranty or cut my loses and find a new cooler.

Raz,

I am sending you a PM regarding the cooler.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts