Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,
I am getting ready to add A/C to my 4.6 V8. One of the things I am having trouble figuring out is mounting the A/C compressor to the engine. Seems simple, but I am struggling. Maybe you have some advice or parts lying around you are willing to sell?
It does not currently have a mount on the engine to hold the compressor. Where the compressor should go is where the alternator currently sits. I have attached a picture. What I would like is to find a bracket(s) that will mount the compressor where it should be and move the alternator to allow this.

The engine is a 4.6 V8 that was made by RPI engineering.

Hopefully, there is someone with experience with mounting accessories to these engines can help me out.

Graham

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Gents, I am getting ready to add A/C to my 4.6 V8. One of the things I am having trouble figuring out is mounting the A/C compressor to the engine. Seems simple, but I am struggling. Maybe you have some advice or parts lying around you are willing to sell? It does not currently have a mount on the engine to hold the compressor. Where the compressor should go is where the alternator currently sits. I have attached a picture. What I would like is to find a bracket(s) that will mount the compressor where it should be and move the alternator to allow this. The engine is a 4.6 V8 that was made by RPI engineering. Hopefully, there is someone with experience with mounting accessories to these engines can help me out. Graham
Wouldn't the easiest option be to go to a pick and pull and take the bracketed off a disco?

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I have the bracket set for the serpentine belt set on the early serpentine engines 93 to 99, 3.9. 4.2, 4.0 disco1 and classic range.
I don't know how much I paid for that. Let me know if that is what you are looking for and we can work a deal...I'm on a deal making mood.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its currently V-belt. Im not opposed to switching to serpentine, but that might be another can of worms. If its doable I need advice on that too.

·
Premium Member
13,801 Posts
you will need a rrc or defender set up. The compressor bracket bolts to the front of the right side head, ie where your alternator lives now. You need a good bit more that the compressor bracket and tensioner based on your picture.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
nevermind, the serpentine conversion begins with the newer timing cover, water pump, p/s pump, idler, tensioner, harmonic balancer, bolts and all the pulleys...
easier way to achieve such is by going to a junks yard, preferably a pick a part, locating a mid 94 to late 95 disco 1 or 94 95 classic and pull the timing cover with distributor and all the front of engine parts.

with your current set up, you need to find a 87 to 93 range and take anything related to belts ...

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
On a RRC, the power steering pump mounts fairly low on the left side, it looks form the pic like yous sits up higher. There's a bracket that bolts to the head behind the P/S pump which mounts the alternator just above the pump and uses an odd belt and pulley arrangement with the alt. belt being driven by the crank pulley but going around on both sides of the P/S pump pulley. The A/C compressor mounts to it's own bracket along with the belt tensioner on the front of the right cylinder head.

I've parted a few RRCs and have everything you need to do this swap. Alternatively, if you should decide to go Serpentine belt, it's quite different and you will indeed (as mentioned above) have to change the timing cover and all accessories. And a few fittings as well. The A/C compressor mounts completely different from the V-belt compressor and the fittings on the lines are different as well, and new lines may well have to be fabricated by a hose shop depending on your evaporator and condenser connections.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts