Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that my alternator is putting out nothing. Today, I learned that a 2.5 NA diesel will continue to run with the battery at 5V!:facepalm:

Does anyone know a compatible alternator part number that I might find at a parts store chain (Auto Zone, CarQuest, etc.) today, Sunday? Of course these places show nothing for a 1986 Defender 90 with a diesel!

I'm currently in Tea, SD (long story) and will be trying to drive to Danville IL today, Sunday.

I may or may not have cell data on the road. If someone can help in the next 5 hours, I will see it here before I leave.

Otherwise, please SMS (text) to 904-999-8083 (a Florida number.)

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next question:

I know the fuel solenoid will stay open with 5 volts. Does anyone know the minimum volts to keep it open and the engine running?

Not a rhetorical question, I'm trying to make it to Danville before sunset.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Premium Member
10,771 Posts
Dunno but try buying a second battery and a battery charger. You know just like one of those fancy plug in electrik cars.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dunno but try buying a second battery and a battery charger. You know just like one of those fancy plug in electrik cars.

We bought a new battery and that was enough to get us to my in-laws.

Still need to trouble shoot. Through all the problems I never get an alternator light. I think I'll take it to an electrical shop first thing Tuesday morning.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts