Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The parking brake on my 94 NAS D90 has always been a bit sloppy.

I have a suspicion the previous owner replaced the transfer case with a unit from a Discovery. I once replaced the speed sensor with a unit out of a Discovery and it plugged right into the transfer case (the dash speedometer is a digital VDO unit).

I've looked up pictures of Defender 90 parking brake systems and they don't look like my setup. I don't have an adjusting mechanism on the transfer case end. Rather, the cable just goes straight into the parking brake drum.

My threaded barrel thing which terminates at the brake handle is hanging loose with no support and is probably responsible for the slop (see pics). Unlike the Discovery setup (last picture), I don't have the structural stuff holding the threaded barrel thing.

Hence, I think I have a Discovery transfer case / handbrake cable with a Defender handbrake handle.

Any thoughts? Can I easily switch back to a Defender cable mechanism?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: I think I can remove the threaded barrel thing and replace with 2 nuts / over-size washers to keep the cable secure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
that looks nothing like my defender ROW parking brake. all the adjustment is done on the drum, but there should be a rubber grommet in there to take up some of the slop, you might be better off to buy a new Parking brake cable with the grommet. or check under the truck, i know my previous owner must have been to lazy to try to shove the grommet through the hole, you should be able to adjust the 17/19mm bolt to tighten up the drum and the parking brake.

·
Super Moderator
13,494 Posts
There are two types of parking brakes. The change was in 1994. The early ones use a cable to a lever and the lever pulls an expander. The later one is a direct cable into the brake.

Everyone should read the appropriate workshop manual to understand how to adjust and overhaul them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts