Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about having someone refinish my brush guard, tail light bar, tire carrier, and all the little bits that work with the tire carrier on my 94 NAS. Does anyone have any recommendations in what to look for/ask of a powder coating outfit before hiring them to do this work? In terms of the paint color and powder coating, does anyone have recommendations of what to tell them in order to get these parts to be as close to factory color and finish as possible? Thanks!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had the brush guard, side steps, and rear bumper media blasted and powder coated. Had them done in "black" (there are a lot of them) but also had it done in a more satin sheen (vice gloss). I have not seen what they looked like new, but they look pretty factory now. BTW, the original powder coating is really hard to blast off.

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
You Can't fix damaged power coat, tiny little scratch that you can't see starts the rust and flaking.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
IMHO - powder coating traps water and you don't find out until its traveled under the powder coating. Even my 3rd light bracket started to rust out and that is in the back not taking rock chips.
I took these pieces and parts and had then hot dipped - but I like the silver galvanized look so I clear coated so it stays shiny.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Galvanizing really does not maintain that "factory look" you mentioned, but you can powder coat afterwards...

·
Registered
160 Posts
IMHO - powder coating traps water and you don't find out until its traveled under the powder coating.
this has been my experience as well. My powder coated bits looked better but once you start poking around them the damage is substantially worse than painted parts. It’s also a pain to remove and restore. I have a front guard that I may have to scrap because the damage is really bad in some spots and I don’t know that I can remove the powder coating.
Aesthetically it looks more correct (original) to my eye though.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Most local powder coat places near us do a highly UV resistant powder coat called ultradurable it's for industrial applications and it's made by Cardinal powder.

All pc can be removed by blasting and any PC quote should include it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m sorry if this is a dumb question: are the exterior roll cage and steps powder coated? They seem to have a different finish than the brush guard, tire carrier, rear light, etc. .

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Second Naplm00's comment I had that done all over my truck (cage/rack/sliders/bumpers/etc.) and am very happy with the quality and look.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts