Defender Source Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
Totally agree. The gear coming out now is amazing compared to what you used to be able to get at surplus. And very specific to overland / off road vehicle travel. Hopefully most of them stick around and keep innovating. As a side note, I am somewhat amazed at how many different companies make an all steel front replacement bumper for a sprinter.
if you come back next year, come visit me in the camel trophy training area. I'll introduce you around. Most of the staff are either Rover or Toyota enthusiasts and we have lively debates. I would also say that the staff all perk up when a Series or Defender show up to the training area. There was a beautiful blue 109 and a mustard Stage one that had us all oggling.

the stories the students bring with them are incredible. There are lots of couples that leave their vehicles abroad while on an extended overland trip and come here for the training. if you look thru the different expo pics, there was a 49 international pickup with a 2x4 roof rack and a backpacker tent on it, that was photographed quite a bit. I first saw it when he showed up to the driving course for me to train. Thing was a beast. He was from PA and pretty sure he was Amish or Mennonite.

·
Premium Member
9,266 Posts
Does anyone remember who the guy was that had his solar panels and all his competitors panels so he could show how inferior the competitions products were.
I am in need of new panels.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Was it Overland Solar? That's who I bought my panel from a couple of years ago. The guy lives way off in the wilds of Utah 50 miles from the nearest power line.

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
So i take it.. it was dry this year? We haven't been in a few years but the 1st one was the bomb (and a lot smaller and well ....sloppier) The biltmore was fun but getting really big in attendance. I'm sure you had at least 5k there this year if not a lot more.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I was there. It was an impressive slew of vendors and mostly like-minded people who were interested in seeing the trucks and were nice enough folks. It was definitely much more people than I expected and camping space was certainly limited.

Some of my fav pics below. Loved the Unimogs there....very impressive. Mine is the 97 Green NAS.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
It was my first time to Expo. I drove down from just outside of Toronto in my 1984 110. I camped out in the field and immediately made a group of friends camping next by that I spent most of the weekend eating chatting and drinking some beers with. I had a good time going through the show booths but this was only part of my experience. Talking to other campers seeing the rigs in the camping areas and catching the evening movies was my highlight. Also 2300km in my defender was an experience

Cheers

T

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
I'm in the market for a rooftop tent did anybody see any new hard shell designs from any new manufacturers?

·
Registered
13 Posts
It was my first time to Expo. I drove down from just outside of Toronto in my 1984 110. I camped out in the field and immediately made a group of friends camping next by that I spent most of the weekend eating chatting and drinking some beers with. I had a good time going through the show booths but this was only part of my experience. Talking to other campers seeing the rigs in the camping areas and catching the evening movies was my highlight. Also 2300km in my defender was an experience

Cheers

T

21 - 30 of 30 Posts