Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
300 Tdi Defender 110 overheated today. After cooling down she got home okay. The overheating was very sudden onset, rather than a very steady temp climb. The hose from thermostat housing to water pump gets hot very quickly even on a short drive, but the lower hose from water pump to lower radiator and to the heater are cold. Does this signal the water pump dying a quick and painless death?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
6,705 Posts
Either water pump is dead or radiator is clogged. More likey the radiator in that part.of the world due to water quality.

Pull the plug from the rad with the engine cool and use a flashlight to look at the tubes in the core. If they are clogged up with crud, you know your answer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Started pulling hoses and checking everything. Radiator looks good from the top down. I started it and let it warm up a bit. I then pulled the inlet hose to the water pump and the hose is full of water but the pump is dry. Does this indicate the pump is not pulling water in?

·
Super Moderator
13,767 Posts
With these engines, you need to be careful with coolant level. The water pump is really high on the engine. The thermostat housing is high in the engine bay, making it difficult to ensure the system is air free. There is a hose that is meant to force air out, but it can get plugged.

Reactions: nathanwind

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, everything is back together and here is what I have. Apparently the coolant expansion tank cap blew its ability to hold any kind of pressure because as soon as I start cranking it starts spraying from pressure trying to build up. Secondly, it is hard to start but will eventually crank, but idles rough. Any thoughts to start on tomorrow morning?

·
Super Moderator
13,767 Posts
Oil in exhaust, sounds like head gasket...
Diesel in the exhaust looks like oil. Smell to tell the difference.

A head gasket failure can't result in oil into the exhaust. The only way to get engine oil into the exhaust is from the turbo oil seals.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
New battery, fired up. She's driving fine now. However, I found that the #4 plug wire had been disconnected, probably by some knucklehead mechanic that didn't know how to connect all the plugs. Does that mean the 4th cylinder was never firing? If so, would that explain why I am now running a bit rich throughout the throttle cycle now? More startup smoke than before and mor smoke on acceleration, all black indicating wasted fuel...

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Glad you got her running, but you really need to google the workings of a diesel engine, that plug you mentioned is the glow plug. Does not effect the running of the engine, it's an aid for starting.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts