Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any real downside to a TD5 rear cross member setup, as opposed to an old school one?
If i order a Richards chassis I want to get the TD5 rear tank setup, and the TD5 cross-member is a $100 cheaper than the older style one.

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Td5 chassis

I don't know what the difference is between Richards and Marsland, I have a Marsland and you get a spot to protect your trailer light socket on a Td5 chassis.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,911 Posts
What exactly do you mean by td5 rear. The one just pictured is still old style in my book. Td5 style should have a separate floating mount to attach body to rear. In my opinion it makes body line up easier and looks slightly cleaner.

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
What exactly do you mean by td5 rear. The one just pictured is still old style in my book. Td5 style should have a separate floating mount to attach body to rear. In my opinion it makes body line up easier and looks slightly cleaner.
If you look mine does have the separate tub mounting bar:facepalm:

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
on a side note, can trailer harness protection be added by just drilling a big ass hole in the old style rear crossmember for mounting to the inside/front side of the box wall, or is there more to it?

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Structure, dear boy. The hole on the Td5 style is boxed in bringing structure back to that big arsed hole, lol

·
Premium Member
11,911 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
I have never seen those pictures, so its either or. I had new nut plates fitted on the backside of the body so I gots exposed.

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
I went with the older style rear crossmember because I wanted it to be correct for a NAS Defender. But it's not an exact match. Four of the tabs are welded onto the face of the crossmember rather than welded on top (an L shape) like the original. Even the NAS rear crossmember with the gas tank brackets already on it RN sells is like that. I'm not sure where you can get an exact match to the original. So now I kinda wish I got the Td5 style so I could have the adjustable mounting bracket. We took good measurements to get it on right but I'm still kinda worried it won't line up precisely. The big hole for the trailer wiring does look kinda strange though.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
How much protection does your trailer socket need?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts