Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
I have used it in my series. It did slow down the leaks a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Answer is, it depends. Most of these "stop leaks" do so by adding petroleum distillates to your oil in which case the theory is that they will soften your gaskets which helps restore them. As gaskets age they shrink and harden, and if that is the case, they make work. If they are cracked or worn out (not just shrunk) then it doesn't help too much. And it helps rubber, but not things like Viton or Cork gaskets, so it depends on the gaskets. Sometimes they work as advertised, sometimes not. Didn't work in my power steering leak but did help a temp fix of a rear engine seal. Didn't work for my transfer case seal, and that leaked from new.

They typically are not what I expected--I always thought they stopped leaks by being super viscous. That typically is not what they do, although sometimes it is. I think that the power steering stop leak may be a viscous additive is as that comes out like honey...

I would only use such a solution as a temp fix. Seals wear out--replace them before you get surprised...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts