Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have been pondering this question for some time now. It seems that the odometer in my '95 d90 is not quite correct. It seems to show more milage than is put on it (verified by many, many, many mile markers and already known milages). At first I wondered if it could be the tires, but they are 265/75R16 which i think is stock? I know that when I put bigger tires on my old Jeep I needed to replace a gear that poked out of the transfer case to correct the speedo/odo. My question is if there is some gear somewhere that might need to be replaced or has the speedo gone bad? Or is there something else that I can do to help calibrate the speedo/odo? Any feedback is appreciated,
mike

ps. I will have access to my dad's GPS this weekend, then I can have some hard numbers to back up my suspicions.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
You don't need a GPS to ensure your stock speedo with stock tires is wrong...it is wrong. They all are. It turns out that with the next size larger tire 255/85R16...(I think that is it) the speedo will read absolutely accurately. Not a great answer...but has been true on both of my Defenders.

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
You are correct about the gear that pokes out of the T-case. You simply disconnect the cable from it and pull it out to change it. Not sure where to get the correct one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts