Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the 90 has been laid up for a bit with clutch issues. Been starting it in the garage on a regular basis. Today while working on the clutch, it will not start. Cannot hear the fuel pump coming on but when I turn key off can hear it for a couple of seconds. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
I'm no expert:

Check the inertia switch. It's a safety shut off switch either near the fuse panel area under the dash. Others found it on the engine side of the fire wall.

Double check the relays under your dash. Maybe 2 metal ones (with brown line).

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, checked the inertia switch, not that. Is there a way to check the relays or just buy new? If so are they readily available at auto parts store or Rover specific?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Yes, checked the inertia switch, not that. Is there a way to check the relays or just buy new? If so are they readily available at auto parts store or Rover specific?

Thanks!
if you put your finger on you might be able to feel them click ... swap them in case one is faulty.

The noise you hear when turning off is not the fuel pump but the AICV resetting ready to start next time.

Oh and if you've been playing near the coil ... knocking the white wire with a black trace off the coil will cause a no start as its the ignition pulse signal to the ECU. No pulse ... no fuel pump!

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm. I'll check those. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
if you put your finger on you might be able to feel them click ...
Long day for sure, but this threw me for a minute until i messed around with the comma :)

if you put your finger on you, might be able to feel them click ...

if you put your finger on, you might be able to feel them click ...

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
For starters check actual pressure. If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge (why not???) just turn the key to run then back off, then push in the schrader valve on the fuel rail to see if you have any fuel pressure (it will spray a bit if it's there). This non-gauge test will at least tell you if the pump is functioning at all. If ont, the next step is checking for voltage going to the pump preferably at the tank wiring. It goes backwards from there. Analytical troubleshooting is your friend.

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Long day for sure, but this threw me for a minute until i messed around with the comma :) if you put your finger on you, might be able to feel them click ... if you put your finger on, you might be able to feel them click ...
Next time I'll bust out a semicolon ... I apologize for my tardy punctuation.

Did you test it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts