Defender Source Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
664 Posts
I added a new heavy duty ground from the engine block, passenger side to the inside of the wing. I did confirm all the other grounds were solid. Even after this, the wire continued to smoke upon attempting a start. I traded out relays but at that point it was too late as that ground had smoked through the plastic.

But I do agree, why would that have happened in the first place? Bad main ground somewhere, or open relay redirecting current when it shouldn't have?

And, to note, the instant I turned the key to start the truck, the smoke appeared. Check out the you tube video I had posted above. (HERE )
Sounds like you got a"-"where a"+" should be...or the other way around.

· Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Sounds like you got a"-"where a"+" should be...or the other way around.
Strange though, I made no changes to anything prior to this happening. It was in storage for 6 months with the occasional start and run and on a battery tender.

· Premium Member
1988 110
230 Posts
I feel your pain, after my 110 sat in 4 feet of water for 10 days - I had a myriad of electrical issues. Intermittent, seemingly random, always aggravating. Not until I removed nearly ALL the PO's hack job, 2 miles of wires, crimped all connections (no solder), cleaned every ground I could find, redid the fuse box, AND start drinking - did it finally resolve to the point where I could drive at peace knowing everything fires up when it is supposed to. I even have "accessories".

I'd trace every wire I could, replace any damage with the appropriate gauge wire, make sure all your grounds are solid. Rinse a repeat until you have been through everything.

At the worst you will learn alot. Good luck!!!

· Premium Member
664 Posts
Strange though, I made no changes to anything prior to this happening. It was in storage for 6 months with the occasional start and run and on a battery tender.
Doesn't mean it was correct to start with. Electrolysis grows constantly. The "heavy"(main) wiring on defenders is very simple to inspect/clean/replace. Start @ the battery(s) and work your way out. Good luck!

· Registered
58 Posts
Oh yes - really important point I forgot to mention! There is NO hazard switch! Some PO must have removed it ? No idea about it other than the 8-10 years I have owned this, never an issue but again, no hazard switch anywhere to be found.
My truck had no hazard switch (so I thought) until I pulled the dash and there is was, still connected but hiding behind the gauge cluster. The handiwork of prior owners is often a challenge!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts