Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1991 Defender 90 Military
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering having a local shop apply NHOil Undercoating product to my '91 D90 Mil. Has anyone else had experience with this product and is it something I need to do every winter?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I sprayed NHOil on the chassis of my other classic car about 4 years ago. Still on and holding just fine. The only part that sucks is when you have to do a repair and get covered in the NHOil.

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
I sprayed NHOil on the chassis of my other classic car about 4 years ago. Still on and holding just fine. The only part that sucks is when you have to do a repair and get covered in the NHOil.
thats impressive. fluid film requires annual application.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I like Waxoly. Just had a car done at Ebervale Corrosion in Bellefonte, PA (outside of State College) and was pretty happy with the result.

Have used / still use Fluid Film on some other stuff and its pretty awesome too. Needs to be re applied but is inexpensive and easy enough to apply. Comes in Black now too..

Let us know how the NHOil goes. Anxious to hear how it compares

·
Registered
1989 Land Rover 110 from Italy, 2 door, 2.5L Turbo, LHD
98 Posts
Has anyone used Cosmoline> I would be interested in hearing your thoughts

·
Registered
'94 NAS 90 ST
71 Posts
Second for Waxoyl. It dries (more or less) after a month or so. I had it applied, but then bought the kit and now do it myself. Even after 2 or 3 years water beads off the chassis.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I'd be interested to see how it looks after being done, Waxoyl has a great finish. Im biased because we sell waxoyl, but the stuff is top notch and I always recommend it(even though I don't personally benefit from the company selling it)

·
Registered
63 Posts
thats impressive. fluid film requires annual application.
I rinse the chassis with a regular garden hose. It seems to stay on. I don't pressure wash it or do to a drive thru car wash which uses high pressure chassis sprayers. I do have to say it's been holding on pretty good. I only drive it in the Spring, Summer and Fall. No Salty roads for the classic cars.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What are you guys paying for application and or prep? What prep do they do? I want to have my 109 done, although I do have a fluid film gun and wand. Frame needs to be scraped/cleaned and that’s best done by someone with a lift and more time than me for such an effort.

·
Registered
'94 NAS 90 ST
71 Posts
I prepped and Waxoyled my Tacoma over a weekend. I used an angle grinder and drill with wire wheel or flap wheel on all the surface rust. No lift...just goggle up, mask, crap clothes and dig in. It's sucky work, but in the end I know it's done right and for that reason very satisfying.

Waxoyl costs about $500 to have it done. Took me about 3+ hrs to do chassis, underbody, and everything else and ~100$ in product.

I use pressure washer at self serve car wash on it and water just beads off. Amazing product.

I only did the cavity wax on interior of frame rails on the D90.

·
Registered
1989 Land Rover 110 from Italy, 2 door, 2.5L Turbo, LHD
98 Posts
Anyone have any experience with Cosmoline? Good or Bad

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I don't know how NH Oil compares but my '75 Triumph Spitfire was spray undercoated by POs with groil, a mixture of engine oil, grease and boiled linseed oil. Everywhere. The chassis, underbody, inside the doors, even on all the wiring. They apparently resprayed this goop every six months to a year. It was a quarter of an inch thick in most places. I got nasty grease on me every time I touched the car so during COVID I scraped about 10 pounds of that waxy grease from the car, tried purple power, Dawn, brake cleaner and steaming and got most of it off. There's still plenty left in the nooks and crannies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts