Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy holidays, everyone. I'm in the process of organizing a startup in Massachusetts that will carry Defender parts.

Our goal is to provide greater access to offerings in other markets. Defender parts are simply cheaper abroad than they are in the US, and there are many new / small companies in Africa/Europe/Middle East that produce quality aftermarket products which are not readily available here (if at all).

We are working to bring these parts to the US, and we plan to buy volume in an effort to offer them at the best prices in the market. All of our parts will be available at wholesale prices to businesses, as well as consumers via group buys. We will be offering both new and take off parts.

I've spent a number of months lining up vendors, and I'm currently working with them to create our product lineup. In an effort to do some market research, I'd welcome feedback from any Land Rover business or Defender owner regarding what you think could be improved in the US parts market. What parts do you think would benefit from a greater selection? What parts are overpriced here compared to abroad?

Please feel free to comment or DM me. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Urban land cruisers 2.0 but without a shop?
Full disclosure, I had to look up ULC to understand your comment.

That said, places like that are actually part of the motivation to start this venture. It's no secret that people need to be cautious dealing in this space because of how many scams are out there. However, that there are some bad apples does not change the fact that there are also many honest vendors, many of which are abroad and selling quality parts at prices that are far better than what is currently on the market in the US. Our plan is vet those vendors, separate the good from the bad, and bring their offerings to market here. The value that we will provide is that US buyers will have the benefit of buying parts at steep discounts from international markets with the security of dealing with a domestic company.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where in massachusetts will your warehouse be and how much inventory will you be stocking?

adam
Hi Adam,

Amazing to see a note from you. I've spent more time looking at your inventory online than I'd care to admit.

Location is TBD. I've been looking at places in both the north shore and south shore. I might consider something in Portsmouth area of NH if the right property doesn't turn up down here.

As far as inventory is concerned, we're planning to start with the larger parts (e.g. doors, NAS rear step, seats, sawtooth, snorkels, etc.) and take it from there. My primary partner is a major distributor of Bearmach, Britpart, and a number of other well known brands. We'll be able to scale as much as necessary. Hopefully it is necessary.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Have a great weekend.

·
Super Moderator
12,291 Posts
I would suggest that you first introduce yourself and tell us about your history with Land Rovers. If you want to take market away from existing vendors, you will need to create trust. People mostly want reliable parts and great customer service. Low cost is not the primary driver.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would suggest that you first introduce yourself and tell us about your history with Land Rovers. If you want to take market away from existing vendors, you will need to create trust. People mostly want reliable parts and great customer service. Low cost is not the primary driver.
Great suggestion. This may be disappointing to hear, but my history with Land Rovers is wholly unremarkable. I was driving a back road in NH when I was still in high school and saw a D90 for sale on the side of the road. I'd never seen anything like it so I turned around, and got out to check the truck out. That was all it took. I've been obsessed with Land Rovers ever since.

Fast forward to today, I'm an attorney in Boston, and I have a 110 CSW, and a few RRCs. I'm making a move into the Land Rover space for several reasons.

First, I've followed the market for years as a consumer/enthusiast, and I've been watching the number of people/businesses selling trucks in the US grow far faster than the number of businesses selling parts. I anticipate that's going to continue.

Second, I've been connecting with Land Rover clubs and enthusiasts from other countries, and I have spent a great deal of time researching their markets. That lead me to realize a few things. There are a number of countries in Africa/Middle East/Eastern Europe that have huge parts markets that are not readily accessible here. Also, there's a major delta between the price we're paying for product X compared to what it sells for abroad. To reconcile that delta, I'm trying to create access for US buyers to those markets without the need to source/navigate them or face the risks that come with dealing with foreign vendors.

Third, it's fun. One of the best parts of being a member of the Land Rover community is meeting the other people in it, not just in the US but abroad. The trucks transcend a lot of cultures, and it makes for excellent common ground to connect with people from all corners of the world who I otherwise would have no reason to know.

I hope that addresses your suggestion. Please let me know if you have more questions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Body panels, body panels, body panels. Things with suggested retail of 200 gbp are $600 here due to packaging/shipping concerns and costs. Tub sides for both 90's and 110 5 door.
Uncle Douglas, thank you for chiming in. Great suggestions. I'll look into adding all those parts to the lineup.

·
Registered
164 Posts
To UDs point. Maybe try to get a relationship with sp4x4 and carry their full line. They basically carry ever panel needed at crazy cheap prices but the international shipping risk/cost is terrifying. Getting their full catalog stateside could easily satisfy your fledgling business and help it quickly develop all while trying to then pull more products in. Other vendors that anyone here has to go direct are Ministry of Defender and their Puma dash kits (Jonathan recently mentioned looking for a US partner)… Raptor dashes, MUD UK. I'm sure there are more but those vendors are a great start.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
To UDs point. Maybe try to get a relationship with sp4x4 and carry their full line. They basically carry ever panel needed at crazy cheap prices but the international shipping risk/cost is terrifying. Getting their full catalog stateside could easily satisfy your fledgling business and help it quickly develop all while trying to then pull more products in. Other vendors that anyone here has to go direct are Ministry of Defender and their Puma dash kits (Jonathan recently mentioned looking for a US partner)… Raptor dashes, MUD UK. I'm sure there are more but those vendors are a great start.
Yes, exactly this!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts