Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just received 2 new front doors from SP-4X4. Very pleased with the quality. I am attempting to put the old innards back in (from the original 1988 model), but the inside metal panels don't fit.

1) Is there a mod kit with brackets so I can use the old metal inner pieces?
2) If not, I know I can buy new inner panels, but if I do that will I have to buy all new inner pieces like window crank, door latches, etc? Or will the old ones fit on the newer style inner pieces?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Old components should fit into the new panels, at least that’s what SP told me so I just bought the new panels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
any photos?

Likely you could rig something up to hold the inners, but you are correct, the TDCI style doors have different inner frames for holding all the bits.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have photos yet..

But the doors are newer style doors, but my inner window winding metal panel and the other inner parts are from the original 1988 model. I'm not the best at fabricating my own parts, so I am just wondering if anyone sells a conversion kit so I can use the old inner pieces.

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
I don't have photos yet..

But the doors are newer style doors, but my inner window winding metal panel and the other inner parts are from the original 1988 model. I'm not the best at fabricating my own parts, so I am just wondering if anyone sells a conversion kit so I can use the old inner pieces.
Sadly it's been covered

But it looks like some of the bits swap and some don't Maybe ping Defenders NW since he noted he had some intel on the subject

·
Registered
70 Posts
Doors arrived in one piece? I thought SP4x4 didn't offer any kind of insurance and you were SOL if they were damaged on their way to the states.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I had one set of door skins come over just fine. And another set of frames with skins get banged up. Looks like they were opened by customs because they had something on the invoice that they didn’t understand. And it was packing was all over the show. I think that was the major issue. Otherwise the stuff was packed pretty well. But yes it is a gamble.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered front left and right door plus the rear door from S-P4x4.com. I was pleased with the quality. You have two options for shipping. To have them shipped door-to-door was going to run me close to 300 GBP, but you can also have them shipped air freight to an airport nearby. I did that, and shipping was only 110 GBP, but then I had to go pick them up and clear them through customs and pay import duty, the import duty was $20 I think. It was a pain because they wouldn't accept personal check or card, I had to go to a post office nearby and get a cashiers check and go back to pay customs.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Had the same problem (bottom mounting points) with front doors and just fabbed me some very basic brackets:

The front bracket is available as a P/N from LR but was, as usual, insanely expensive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts