Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently closing in on a 1997 NAS D90. The current listing is a Defender that came in from Japan. It is my understanding this is common for the model. As a newbie, is this a concern? Are there issues I should be aware of when looking to purchase? I have seen threads referencing mileage being unknown.
Many thanks!

·
Registered
707 Posts
J-spec trucks had kilometer odometers. If the current odometer is currently in miles you know it’s been swapped. That’s one area where you get unknown mileage.

I suspect the other mileage discrepancy could be the inability to verify the vehicle’s history with a Carfax or equivalent (I don’t know what the Japanese equivalent is). So there’s always a chance that the ODO gets swapped from km to km at some point in the truck’s history to set the mileage back, and you don’t have a report to verify history/mileage.

If you search, there are plenty of threads on here about the value of J-spec trucks vs. NAS.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Factor what into pricing? The potential of a mileage discrepancy? If so, that’s tough...if there isn’t any proof of a mileage discrepancy there will always be a “greater fool” willing to pay too much for the truck. Price is kind of personal preference based on your situation.

It’s my opinion that J-spec trucks carry a slightly lower value than an equivalent NAS.

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
As background you might confirm it was not made after August 1997 or it should not have been imported to the US. There is a vin range that it must fall within as well.
“SALDV224*VA'' or
``SALDV324*VA''.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts