Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. I am looking to purchase a truck for use at my summer house. My kids asked for a Jeep; I want a Defender.

I have budgeted between 20 - 30K for the vehicle. Is is possible to get a decent shape soft top at this price? I am a very handy guy and am looking for something that I can improve on in time. I prefer LHD because teaching my wife to drive a manual is going to be difficult enough.

Truck will be used to pull my boat (about 5,000 lbs), drive to the beach and cruise around the North Fork of Long Island.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My wife doesn't drive stick, so my search limited me to '97 STs that were all made with Automatics. That puts you in the $50k price range though.

At your price point if you want a North American Spec (NAS, 94,95,97) you might need to look at salvage titles or really high miles.

Your best bet at your price could be a 80's 110 that someone has made into a soft top. There have been some of those recently in your price range.

Last thing I'll say is that one plus of the Jeeps is that they have airbags, ABS, etc. It's the reason why mine never gets on the Sunrise and basically just shuttles to and from the beach at <45MPH.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Last thing I'll say is that one plus of the Jeeps is that they have airbags, ABS, etc. It's the reason why mine never gets on the Sunrise and basically just shuttles to and from the beach at <45MPH.

Really? Just a beach shuttle? That's too bad.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
How many kids do you have? Because you might want to look at an ExMod 3 door 110 with side bench seats. Once you start to load up kids + friends + coolers + beach chairs + surf boards/water toys + ... you will have zero room in a D90. That is why I sold my 90 and got a 110.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Michael, just a general suggestion since you're new here: you are probably going to have a few vendors contacting you to offer vehicles that might fit your needs. Given some of the issues seen with dishonest vendors in the last few years, I recommend you stay away from any vehicle that's not advertised on this site. It's free to post for-sale ads here and if a vendor who is known to be dishonest posts something, they'll almost certainly be called out by the community. You might not be aware of a vendor's past history if they offer you a truck directly that's not listed here. At a minimum, search their name (company and person) here before proceeding.

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
Michael, just a general suggestion since you're new here: you are probably going to have a few vendors contacting you to offer vehicles that might fit your needs. Given some of the issues seen with dishonest vendors in the last few years, I recommend you stay away from any vehicle that's not advertised on this site. It's free to post for-sale ads here and if a vendor who is known to be dishonest posts something, they'll almost certainly be called out by the community. You might not be aware of a vendor's past history if they offer you a truck directly that's not listed here. At a minimum, search their name (company and person) here before proceeding.
At a minimum ask about the vendor here. Devin (110fender) might have something in that price range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts