Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the last few months designing a new front bumper for my 90.

Last year I couldn't get a hold of a Safari Gard bumper and Rockware wasn't producing new bumpers at the time, so I came up with my own. Below is the final product.

Really happy with how it turned out. Better approach angle than stock bumper

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Bent Fabrication, local PHX fab company, are the ones who built it for me professionally to ensure structural integrity (especially when it involves recovery points, etc) and overall quality. I came to them with my exact design, they built it, we iterated and made improvements, and final product came out great.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Looks great! That's very close to what I'd like to have, but without the stinger center and tapered ends. Mind sharing the cost?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're looking to do the same (have a local fab shop build it professionally), cost will likely vary depending on factors surrounding the build. My costs were pretty high as I took a "no expense spared" type of approach. We made a few iterations and alterations along the way, so it wasn't just a pay and play type of arrangement.

I also spent the time to create the design, build a prototype, and have dimensions measured out (so that likely saved me development/hourly rate costs).

Final product ended up costing around $3k. This was mostly labor and would have likely been a lot cheaper had we not made so many iterations and tweaks to get it perfect.

Replicating the final product would be much cheaper second time around.

Totally worth it IMO, as this little D90 is my dream build 20 years in the making.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Looks good. That is pricey for a bumper but trial and error costs money. As long as u r happy, cost isn't an issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts