Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 4163 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some decent potential info on the next gen Defender.

Land Rover design chief dangles more clues on next Defender

The really tough design and engineering work for the Defender will probably center around such things as the convertible top, which needs to be a heck of a lot better in every way than the top on the previous Defender. It needs to be easy to lower and raise as well as more effective in sealing out wind and water, something the old vehicle's top never did well. And the new Defender will have to be quieter and more refined than the old one, but also be just as unstoppable.

More clues: McGovern says there will be a family of Defenders. I'd look for at least four models. There will certainly be a Wrangler-like two-door convertible and a five-seat Safari wagon. But I'd also look for a seven-seat version on a stretched wheelbase. And there will probably be a pickup version, though we are unlikely to get it in the United States because of the 25 percent "chicken tax" on imported trucks.

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
Wow, that interview just kinda sets us up for disappointment, right?

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
At least it says it will have squared off fenders and flat sides - its kind of hard to tell where the front corners are on my new Discovery 5. The LR3 was a lot easier to judge where the front corners were which is kind of important off road. After getting used to the luxury of driving a Discovery 3 & 5 it will be nice to get a bit of that in a new Defender. I hope 18" wheels will be standard though - its probably way too much to ask for 16" wheels.

I'm keeping the old Defender though... and the two Series trucks.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that interview just kinda sets us up for disappointment, right?
Which part...? The models that won't make it here or the price tag behind them? Or is it the changes you can imagine are coming.

I was against the new Disco when it came out, based on having an LR3 for 10 years. But it's growing on me.

Being a noob owner of my defender, I'm not ready for a new version yet anyway.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Per Alloy + Grit, McGovern said the design will not be retro-styled, but a fresh interpretation that honors the defender’s capability and durability.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
McGovern just wants to build cars. Period. He's ok with crossovers, but even has admitted to wanting, what's really a perverse obsession, a Land Rover car. The new defender will likely be disappointing.

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Hmm, thanks for sharing, but nothing new here. I’m surprised nothing has leaked yet. We know everything about the new Wrangler.

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
A test mule has been spotted. Possibly the unpinning's of the defender are there.
We actually saw that in person last week in Malibu, right next to Zuma Beach, and my 13-yo got photos. It actually looked like a new Cayenne. I'll post them once he gets home from school.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
McGovern is so full of ****. People love the Defender because it’s the Defender. People love how it looks. Just look at values and the theft rate in Europe. It’s a much bigger gamble to expect people to love something entirely different. It’s okay to market to people who have never had a Land Rover and don’t care about the brand, but you don’t slap your fans in the face. The man has no soul.

1 - 20 of 4163 Posts