Defender Source Forum banner

781 - 800 of 813 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I actually really like the interior, I just don’t find the exterior overly appealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
459 Posts
For price, it's best to option one online. Otherwise, you're at the mercy of the dealer's inventory. i was told they have 12 pre-ordered with delivery end of May / early June. They had 4 coming ranging from mid-60s to mid-80s that weren't taken. If you option one today, you'd likely get in August is what I was told.

·
Registered
1992 ROW D90 (200tdi)
28 Posts
Back in March I was invited to a JLR dealership in NJ to take a look at the new one. Overall not bad looking from the outside, it would definitely best to spec one out on-line. The dealership up there had a bunch pre-ordered and they were all in the upper 60s and low 70s.

·
Registered
1992 ROW D90 (200tdi)
28 Posts
In MT I recently read where the head of JLR North America said that the Disco was designed that way on purpose. And that by adding the new Defender to the line up it creates that 3 legged stool they were aiming for. RR being the epitome of refinement and luxury, Discovery being functional, and Defender being utilitarian. Or something along those lines.

Either way, I see nods to the old one in the new one, but to consider it be what it was will surely instill some disappointment. It's not the same.

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
Thanks for the info on these new Defenders User Name and Superfluke. We may look at one of these when my wife’s RRS lease is up due to the need for a vehicle with more rugged space (dogs). In my mind I’m thinking of it as a Discovery 110 ;)

·
Premium Member
7,674 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,156 Posts
I live 2 blocks from the rover dealer and while driving home the other day I noticed they have 3 so I did a quick drive through the lot.

Just not feeling it, I guess I could see having one as a daily driver kind of the same as having a Discovery, Explorer or inset name of generic SUV but it just does not call out Defender / unique to me just another SUV.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts

Agree. I am getting one cos I need a DD but I’m removing the defender logo and referring to it as my Land Rover. My real defender has no competition

·
Registered
1992 ROW D90 (200tdi)
28 Posts
I don't know but I believe that no matter what the new one would have come out as (aside from this), a large majority were going to be left disappointed.
Is it the old Defender? No, but it is the Defender that the brand had in mind for this day and age.
I still go back and forth on it; I know the only color I would even consider would be the Pangea Green, and I would do the steelies.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I might consider it as a daily driver in the future. I'll have a bumper sticker waiting for it.

·
Registered
1992 ROW D90 (200tdi)
28 Posts
In objective fairness, LR has always pushed the envelope and moved things "forward. Some will simply not like the direction things are going in, others will. Nevertheless, I think LR has maintained their legacy and "forward" approach. From the first unibody chassis to permanent four wheel drive, maybe this is the next chapter?

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
In objective fairness, LR has always pushed the envelope and moved things "forward. Some will simply not like the direction things are going in, others will. Nevertheless, I think LR has maintained their legacy and "forward" approach. From the first unibody chassis to permanent four wheel drive, maybe this is the next chapter?
They really pushed the envelope from 1948 to 2016...

·
Premium Member
10,688 Posts

Agree. I am getting one cos I need a DD but I’m removing the defender logo and referring to it as my Land Rover. My real defender has no competition

I've been trying to figure out the reason I don't like the nose of the new one.

Your picture helps. The original's nose is open, welcoming. The replacement is closed, hard.

Its a bit like going from Luke Skywalker (open face) to Darth Vader (Face Masked). Good to bad.

781 - 800 of 813 Posts