Defender Source Forum banner

721 - 740 of 747 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
I’ve heard great reviews from everyone that’s gotten to test these trucks off-road and on — I’m really excited to try it. It’s funny listening to most guys on here bash it...

The iconic body style remains the sticking point with most... but LR is claiming this as their most capable truck ever built — give it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
To me, it all comes down to.... they're just ugly. I hope they can cross the ocean, trek through swamps, dominate the rubicon trail. That would be great, but they're just.... ugly.

·
Registered
400 Posts
All I’m saying is, unless you’ve seen it in person and driven it off-road, you simply have an internet opinion. The platform is getting a lot of consumer coverage on FB and YouTube, looks like it’s worth giving a shot.

I can’t dispute the look isn’t there, it’s no longer the iconic safari truck. The diehards will continue to trade 30-year-old parts on the internet in hopes to piece together a functional icon or they’ll upgrade / bastardize parts from Chevy to modernize the icon. Bottom line, it’s a battle in futility.

·
Super Moderator
12,289 Posts
All I’m saying is, unless you’ve seen it in person and driven it off-road, you simply have an internet opinion.
Not really. The underpinnings are the same as there current vehicles. It is just a different body. If you have seen a Disco 5 or RRS out on on the trails, this will be more or less the same.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Yes, you have folks trying to find parts for cars 30, 40, 50 years old. And in 30 years, how likely do you think you'll find someone taking a trail with a 2020 Defender versus a 2015 Defender? Especially given the low volume, high price of replacement parts, e.g the $2600 headlight replacements for the new Defender versus $15 for an older Defender/Series. Just as a gauge, I see more CJs on the road than I do '90s era Cherokees.

So yes, it'll be an instant gratification thing that you can drive on the roads and a muddy trail, on par with the new Grand Cherokee or other off-road minivans. I think it's a decent successor to the LR4, but certainly not the same type of truck as the Defender. Kinda like the new "e-Mustang" minivan.

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
All I’m saying is, unless you’ve seen it in person and driven it off-road, you simply have an internet opinion. The platform is getting a lot of consumer coverage on FB and YouTube, looks like it’s worth giving a shot.

I can’t dispute the look isn’t there, it’s no longer the iconic safari truck. The diehards will continue to trade 30-year-old parts on the internet in hopes to piece together a functional icon or they’ll upgrade / bastardize parts from Chevy to modernize the icon. Bottom line, it’s a battle in futility.

I have a Wooden lobster boat hand built in Maine in the 50s... . It may not be the fastest or quietest boat in the harbor but it is one of prettiest. Its lines are distinctive and its heritage is undeniable. As i sail by people always stop what they are doing and it brings a smile to their face.
It has a soul and a character not found in modern boats. I don't need to test drive the newest, fastest plastic boat to know I'm not interested and that is my real opinion. The family of my boats builder are still there building boats the same way they did in the 50s and their waiting list is getting longer not shorter so i guess I'm not alone..

·
Registered
14 Posts
I see more CJs on the road than I do '90s era Cherokees.
Really? I hardly see a CJ anymore. Might be a regional thing, but they just are not around my part of the world.

----

I let the new Defender sink into my mind a bit, and I just dont think ill get one. At least not an early model. The aftermarket will be small, the junk yard parts wont be there, and the current build quality of LR is not making me feel warm and cozy on the inside.

Looks like a 4Runner will hold me over as I save up for a 2026 Defender or classic defender as a weekend joy ride.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Really? I hardly see a CJ anymore. Might be a regional thing, but they just are not around my part of the world.
I see the around here in Texas - no salt on the road and five hours from the coast. Your profile doesn't show where you're at. Again, not like they're everywhere but they're more plentiful than the '90s Cherokees. I think I've even seen more Scramblers lately.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I see the around here in Texas - no salt on the road and five hours from the coast. Your profile doesn't show where you're at. Again, not like they're everywhere but they're more plentiful than the '90s Cherokees. I think I've even seen more Scramblers lately.
That's fair. I'm in central MD on the mountains.

I see a lot of the built trail rigs from XJs and a few pristine late model XJs which I imagine is getting to be near impossible these days.

I'm surrounded by TJs, though. I stand out in my built 4Runner.

·
Premium Member
7,547 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
More reasons to be concerned about buying any late model JLR product. Cost cuts will be targeted at materials? Are they kidding? As it is they can’t source reliable coolant hoses or water pumps vital to engine longevity.

I believe this has in fact been a strategy all along. Poor reliability of parts drives service repair revenue.

·
Premium Member
7,547 Posts
I believe this has in fact been a strategy all along. Poor reliability of parts drives service repair revenue.

Certainly a bold gamble. If so, the timing is probably right. A few months ago I stood in the service area when dropping off my 4 for warranty work and couldn’t help to overhear that everyone that day was in for similar problems. With overheating or coolant temp warning lights due to lack of coolant in expansion tanks. 99.9% of people don’t know what to ask a service advisor and actually seem to think they’re getting some “use” out of their warranty. In a perverse way warranty work probably builds brand loyalty for people these days that are less mechanically inclined and turn their vehicles over every few years.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts

While it would drive service revenue it also plays a key part in lowering market share. If they produced vehicles that people perceived as more reliable they would sell quite a bit more vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
To me, it all comes down to.... they're just ugly. I hope they can cross the ocean, trek through swamps, dominate the rubicon trail. That would be great, but they're just.... ugly.
I've always considered an important characteristic of the classic Defender is its ugliness. Before I got a custom plate it had one that was "VUD" followed by three numbers. We got a plate border that read "Very Ugly Defender"; seemed to fit.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
While it would drive service revenue it also plays a key part in lowering market share. If they produced vehicles that people perceived as more reliable they would sell quite a bit more vehicles.

From my perspective Land Rover has been perceived as trash in the public eye for a long while, as far as dependability. Improvements throughout the 06+ years have yielded poor increases in the consumer sentiment based on surveys, still ranked at bottom. So my logic is if they know that improvements in materials/mechanicals make zero difference, make money on the service side. Warranty payments to dealers and then non warranty revenues prop up the dealers, service dept is always the most profitable part of a dealership.

Protect the dealers and the funnel of poor performing cars will continue to roll out.

I spoke to an Indy shop recently that said they are seeing huge issues with the velar now that many have 75k+ miles. One repair requires complete engine removal.

Hell with that.

·
Registered
988 Posts
this is interesting.

I read a comment FB or Instagram that said something like, "that grill is awesome."

My thoughts on this "hummer" is that GM is trying to do exactly what LR and possibly Ford are doing. Using an iconic name to sell something that is only related to the iconic in name only and not pedigree or heritage.

Reminds me of consumers in the early 2000's saying that they have wanted a Hummer since the 90's and now I can finally get one (H2). Of course there were others that said GM started Hummer and that the Hummer wasn't around prior to 2002.

The grill is barely reminiscent of the 7 slotted grill and doesn't even have round headlights. The new Defender headlights are better.

721 - 740 of 747 Posts