Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 720 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's keep this to actual news and not speculation. The leaks of today actually look pretty nice!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Copied from Jalopnik

New Land Rover Defender: Details And Pictures Before You're Supposed To See Them
We knew the new Defender was coming. We even knew it was coming to America. It still is coming, but now it’s a little closer. The Next Land Rover Defender, heir to the legacy of the farm and adventure trucks that came out of Solihull, England from 1948 until 2016, will be introduced later this week but, thanks to some leaked magazine pages, we’ve got some more details now.

The soflorovers Instagram account has apparently leaked pages from South Africa’s SA4x4 magazine that purport to have details on the new 2020 Land Rover Defender. We don’t know if it’s legit yet, but it sure looks that way. Here’s what we can glean from this leak.

The screenshots seem to confirm that the Defender will launch in three-door 90 and five-door 110 body styles like the original Defender it replaces. The exterior should already be familiar as we’ve seen dashboard graphics and a LEGO set based on the three-door already but the five-door’s profile is brand new. The rumored 130 extended wheelbase is not mentioned, but earlier reports suggested that it would launch later on in any case.

The real news from this screenshot, aside from clear images of both the interior and exterior, are what appear to be the clearance statistics for the 110 five-door. With a reported 291 mm (11.45 inches) of ground clearance, a 900 mm (35.43 inches) maximum fording depth (which is five inches more than the JL Wrangler can take), and approach, break-over, and departure angles of 38 degrees, 28 degrees and 40 degrees respectively, the Defender is shaping up to be a tough competitor off road.

These stats aren’t the only off-road features the Defender reportedly brings to the table. The screenshot also details a standard locking central differential and optional locking rear diff as well as a new Terrain Response System that will reportedly provide a more hands-on set of tools for off-roaders in the new Defender than the completely analog setup offered in the previous truck.

While none of these details are confirmed, we do know that the new Defender has been tested for a life on the road as well as off of it, with prototypes spending time on the Nürburgring as well as in rutted woods. That testing combined with the reported Terrain Response System suggests that this truck represents a real departure from the prior model, but we’ll only be able to confirm that once Land Rover lets us have a good look at at it.

In terms of practicality, the screenshots claim a massive 2380 liter measurement for the 110's loadspace, and a jumpseat up front in the 90, meaning that the three-door will have room for six.

We will have a lot more to say come Tuesday when the Defender is officially unveiled, but until then, it seems we have a lot to look forward to. I’m hoping that we see a lower-spec model as well, with the white steelies from the second screenshot.

The Defender has always been a work truck. That’s how it became the legend it is. When we see the new one in the flesh on Tuesday, we’ll have a little more clarity as to whether that remains the case for the new one as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I can think of loads of mods I could do to enhance what looks like a very capable vehicle. My non-compete with Himalaya lasts until August next year. That gives me time to buy a couple and establish and build my new brand redesigns.
Its exciting and I am looking forward to this.

As originally posted can we not keep this as news and photos only.
Dumb comments have already been said on other threads. Some of us don't have the time or interest in reading the whining high school comments on the other thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Best looking freelander yet
Freelander that will likely hand a classic Defender its ass offroad, get the owner home from trails at highway speed, and to work on Monday morning without waiting 20 minutes to make heat.

Once aftermarket gets a hold, opinion will change, it will be funny to watch the haters walk it back.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Freelander that will likely hand a classic Defender its ass offroad, get the owner home from trails at highway speed, and to work on Monday morning without waiting 20 minutes to make heat.

Once aftermarket gets a hold, opinion will change, it will be funny to watch the haters walk it back.
I think this is true. No, it will never replace the original Defender, but a modernized version that looks very very capable off-road and on and calls out to the old beast? Seems so.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
I hope there are some other non-metallic colors other than "Rare Expedition White". So far I like what I see - particularly the interior shots. Since that's the view that the owners will enjoy most of the time its important.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
RANT MODE ON:
WTF did they do those rear lights clusters like that for?
Looks like something Volvo did in early 2000's. Or like something borrowed off of a MB Sprinter.

It's like someone did a decent design but then someone else came along and said: "here's how we're gonna screw up something in every viewing plane so that it would cause nothing but indignation" and gave the front end that god awful bumper and "angry eyes", these god awful rear light clusters to the back and that ridiculous side step ladder to the side.

RANT MODE OFF.

PS: 110 looks OK, 90 looks ridiculous.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The 90 looks "chopped off" but the 110 at least looks properly proportioned. The front windscreen is too sloped on both. Why not keep the headlights as close to original design but updated? They are missing the boat on the front end. I don't see any design evolution here. Maybe it will look better in person.

Oh, and the wheels look like they are from the early 2000's, forgettable. Maybe I will photoshop some 17" steel wheels on a 110.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Yes, there's lots of potential to polish this turd.

I can think of loads of mods I could do to enhance what looks like a very capable vehicle. My non-compete with Himalaya lasts until August next year. That gives me time to buy a couple and establish and build my new brand redesigns.
Its exciting and I am looking forward to this.

As originally posted can we not keep this as news and photos only.
Dumb comments have already been said on other threads. Some of us don't have the time or interest in reading the whining high school comments on the other thread.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts

It doesn't really build on the platform the way the vehicle progressed from series 1 thru the defender. I like being outside and I like simplicity and being able to do all the maintenance myself. The new Defender does not have any the qualities that endeared this marque to me over the past 15 years or so. I will not have to walk back anything. It looks like it inherits far more from its luxury siblings than it does its namesake and for that reason it feels dishonest and falls real short. I do all those things you describe in my Perentie and after the webasto unit I yanked out a range rover that last bit will be solved for me without a plug in block heater. To each their own. Love it, hate it, I dont care as my opinion of it is my own.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I am staring at this one going... why does it look so much better than the Bond truck... It has unpainted fender flares. Wouldn't mind different/smaller wheels. This thing looks goooood

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
One day, a different team of management at LR will realize what the brand lost in forcing the Defender to fold into its other lines and losing the iconic character trait. Why not skip this step and go straight to Defender Sport? Gerry's heart lies in the "Sport" side, and honestly, those vehicles seem to work better for what they are, because that's what they were designed to be.

Rather than valuing Defender as a key marque concept held above, as an ethos all its own, the car is now simply another nameplate subjugated under the weight of the current design language and branding structure. There is tension in this design, as it must do so much. The similar looking DC100 was cleaner and more simple in purpose - it was designed to be a cheaper playful vehicle. Defender is tasked with being a Nurburgring handling, off-road master justifying a nearly $100k price in premium trim while offering a washable interior. The platform must deliver a free and easy 90, but also a future sport derivative and 130 model for the super high end. This doesn't seem necessary.

The Defender will now require a redesign every 8 years with a mid cycle refresh. The 90 probably has a tough swim ahead of it. There isn't a fun open roof car you take to the camp or beach, it's just a 2 door SUV and those have been extinct for 20 years. Hopefully it will wow in person.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I am staring at this one going... why does it look so much better than the Bond truck... It has unpainted fender flares. Wouldn't mind different/smaller wheels. This thing looks goooood

You could put a Ford badge on the front of that thing, it's so vanilla.

·
Registered
606 Posts
There's one indication on the side of the silver/black roof one that gives me hope: a key hole at the bottom of what looks to be a lock box. I think the accessory is goofy and gimicky. But the key hole? That hints at an actual key - not a damned fob! A boy can dream, right?

1 - 20 of 720 Posts