Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Just got a 95 NAS 90 after wanting one for ever. Happy to find fellow rover fans here.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
I am in Hilton Head Island, SC

Thinking about an LS engine...thoughts ???
Should have bought a ROW truck and a roll cage?

It's yours to do with as you please, obviously, but with NAS values being what they are, seems unwise to start hacking it up. I would think the engine swap would ultimately lower the value of the vehicle (financially), if that matters to you..

Or maybe I am way off base, if so, I'm sure I will be corrected swiftly..

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts

It's yours to do with as you please, obviously, but with NAS values being what they are, seems unwise to start hacking it up. I would think the engine swap would ultimately lower the value of the vehicle (financially), if that matters to you..

I am in agreement with you, I think most people would be. Plenty of good LHD ROW 90s you could re-power of a similar vintage. NAS value really is in originality

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
I modified my NAS with an LS. However, it is salvage titled and I would not have done that otherwise personally. That said, all Land Rovers are collectable to a degree and I am a FIRM believer that if you buy it, do whatever the hell you want to it, period.

That said, you could do it all cheaper if you do it as a ROW. And your residual value will be less modifying a NAS, for sure--but it is what it is. LS swap is reversible, too...FYI...albeit not the most simple reverse in the world to the harness...

Contrats--nice looking rig. Own it for a while before you modify it--you will spend way less doing it after you know exactly what to do and what to avoid. Don't hesitate to ask questions here--there is a ton of advice you can get before purchasing stuff which will save you a lot of heart ache!

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts

X3 totally agree with you, the value is in keeping this truck stock and only bolt on modifications that can be easily undone. Beautiful truck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks all for the feedback. Its been my grail vehicle for a long time and I am less concerned with resale than I am with performance and dependability. That being said...with 177k miles on it, and work that needs to be done no matter what...does it make sense to rebuild the stock motor...does anyone know what that number is like? Doing everything I planned to do including the LS was around $35k...roughly 23k of that being the crate motor.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Great looking truck!

I agree with the guys here, if you want to change the engine and seats and frame etc etc, get a cheap ROW truck and do as you may.

For an NAS, try to stay original as, well, that is really the only reason to have an NAS over another Defender for half the price or less!!

But alas, it is yours and you can do as you wish.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Thanks all for the feedback. Its been my grail vehicle for a long time and I am less concerned with resale than I am with performance and dependability. That being said...with 177k miles on it, and work that needs to be done no matter what...does it make sense to rebuild the stock motor...does anyone know what that number is like? Doing everything I planned to do including the LS was around $35k...roughly 23k of that being the crate motor.
There's nothing wrong with the LR V8 from the standpoint of performance or dependability. I'd be more worried about running a badly executed LS swap, than running a stock V8.

Oh, and 23G's for a crate motor is a bit too much, methinks, I thought they were in the 7-12K range?
https://www.jegs.com/p/Chevrolet-Performance/Chevrolet-Performance-LS376-480-LS3-62L-495HP-Crate-Engine/1127485/10002/-1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Right...the 23 g's is all in with all the labor and adapters etc etc.

Thanks for the link and heads up :)

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Right...the 23 g's is all in with all the labor and adapters etc etc.

Thanks for the link and heads up :)
And that is too little. If you find a shop to do 23K all in with a crate motor, you will be pretty well set... I don't know of a single shop offering so low a cost. I think that would be materials only with crate motor/trans/radiator and fixings+adapters.

You could do cheaper--many of us have. Someone even did it for like $10k. Not many people pull that off, though...

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
That being said...with 177k miles on it, and work that needs to be done no matter what...does it make sense to rebuild the stock motor...does anyone know what that number is like?
FWIW, as a data point, I had a top-end rebuild done on an engine with ~150K, plus new fuel pump, alternator, water pump, hoses, for about $6K.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts