Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to install my new bulkhead from RN for a test fit and the main outrigger holes don’t line up to get the bolts through, it’s off by 1/4”. My front crossmember is in and torqued to spec. I assume the bulkhead needs to be stretched but before I do something extremely regrettable, I’m looking for some advice.

HELP!!

Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
All bolts finger tight.
To get them in may require some straps to pull and twist.
Then tighten each one turn at a time - alternating.
Have had to drill holes slightly larger as well.
Fitting is always a challenge.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Ratchet strap and done. Try and keep the bulkhead flush with the frame and that should help as well.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it needs to be stretched where do you place the strap hook down by the bottom? In a preexisting hole? I don’t want to bend it inadvertently.

Ben

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My plan was to test fit all panels before paint...bad idea?

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
Great idea ! Since these are originally handmade vehicles every one is different. repairing/ new panels on it's going to take a lot of negotiation with a Bfh, ratchet straps, port-a-power to get them lined up.

Keep everything as loose as possible before you snug anything up

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
You can hook it at the base where the bolt passes through (right below the bottom of the footwell).

if you want to to it off the truck you can build a jig and use a bolt and nut to stretch it to the proper length.Search my build thread (2620) and there are pic there on how I did it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent thank you lordhelmet... now whats your combination to your luggage again....12345.

Ill review your build thread.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks as if you had to stretch it over 1/2”

Q: does it stretch at the door post assembly or at the floor?

Ben

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Mine was warped do to galvanizing. I just pulled it straight.

·
Premium Member
15,169 Posts
Normal. One strong person and one to put in the bolt or Jack or rachet strap etc.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I can tell by those 2 photos that you have a genuinel bulkhead and not the Turkish Delight!

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
You can sand down the edges of the end of the bolt so it fits in the hole and then lightly tap it in. I guess if you mess up the threads a little you can screw a die onto it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can sand down the edges of the end of the bolt so it fits in the hole and then lightly tap it in. I guess if you mess up the threads a little you can screw a die onto it.
I’ll try that Chip!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts