Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
tried to have my new mud terrians balanced fri. would not happen. they would start out with 8 0r 9 oz when he frist spin them and evey spin he kept adding weight and they still didnt end up balancing.the 3 of the tires all ended up with 13 to 16 oz. the last tire started out saying it need 18 oz,he didnt balance that one,if he would have tried my guess is he would of had over 25oz of lead on that tire.is this normal?purchased them from the tire rack, could they be bad tires? is it my rims? maybe his machine?he said had his machine serviced 3 months ago. buy the way they are 255/85 16 bfg mud kms on factory rims and i had them keep the weight on the inside of the rim with sticky and clap on weights.any help would be greatly appreciated. sorry i put this post in the wrong spot can it be moved?i gues i can think of it as help wanted

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Matt, I run that exact tire and size on LR rims with the weights on the inside and had no issues whatsoever. You are right to assume that something is wrong. Maybe try another vendor? I had mine done at discount tire if that helps. Are you having trouble with all the tires?

Best of luck,

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
art-3 of the tire he put weights on and the still did not balance out to 0. the 4th he didnt even try to balnce because of all the weigth it said.is there a way to tell if its more of the tire or the wheel?

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Matt, I would carry the tires and rims to another shop. Something is more than likely wrong with his balancer, if it gives those results on that many tires. I could maybe see this happening if you were running a big tire (40 in or bigger), that is REALLY out of round, but not on a standard tire like that.

Chris

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Hi Matt,

I just mounted mine, same size, stock alloys, etc.. I dynamically balanced mine and didn't put that much weight on. I typically put 2-4 oz 180 deg out on either side so static balance would have been in the neighborhood of 1 to 3 oz out of balance. I'd say settings or calibration on machine, to second the previous post. I have always had good luck getting round tires from BFG. Good luck.

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
Don't use it if you like to air down your tires! I know someone that has the stuff and it take forever to ai down because of the speical valve stem you have to use. I have also heard mixed results as to how it works.

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
DO NOT USE EQUAL! It is total shite! Heres what you need to do. Pull the weight on the tires and drive around on them for about 300 miles. Heat those suckers up. Take that thing 80 for as long as you can. Heat cycle them many times and then go back to the tire place and balance them. If there is an issue after that then you got a bad batch of tires or the tire place is full of idiots. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts