Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering box finally started puking fluid all over so time to repair or replace. I've already got it out of the truck but so now ready to find a replacement but so far I'm having no luck, other than in the UK. And from what I've read, it's best to get a new or reman box rather than trying new seals.

My truck is a LHD 1988 90 2.5 petrol and according to the parts manual, the steering box should be part number NTC1583. This is the Gemmer unit with the 6-bolt top cover.

Can anyone recommend a source? I emailed RovahFarm the other day but so far have heard nothing back.

Alternatively, I've read about converting to the 4-bolt box but not sure if there are different part numbers or which application I can use.

I appreciate any experience you guys can pass-along.

Thanks,

CARL

·
Registered
535 Posts
My steering box finally started puking fluid all over so time to repair or replace. I've already got it out of the truck but so now ready to find a replacement but so far I'm having no luck, other than in the UK. And from what I've read, it's best to get a new or reman box rather than trying new seals.

My truck is a LHD 1988 90 2.5 petrol and according to the parts manual, the steering box should be part number NTC1583. This is the Gemmer unit with the 6-bolt top cover.

Can anyone recommend a source? I emailed RovahFarm the other day but so far have heard nothing back.

Alternatively, I've read about converting to the 4-bolt box but not sure if there are different part numbers or which application I can use.

I appreciate any experience you guys can pass-along.

Thanks,

CARL
There have been several used for sale here on the forum off & on. Check Zack at RN...maybe post in the "Parts Wanted" thread.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gave up on finding a replacement box and decided to replace the seals and give it a go.

Luckily the steering arm came off without too much trouble and removing the leaking seals was pretty straightforward. Now just waiting for the new seals to arrive and I can bolt it all back together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Gave up on finding a replacement box and decided to replace the seals and give it a go.

Luckily the steering arm came off without too much trouble and removing the leaking seals was pretty straightforward. Now just waiting for the new seals to arrive and I can bolt it all back together.

How did the replacement seals work for your steering box...any issues?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts