Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 1994 110 with the 2.5L NA diesel with about 50k km on the odometer. Transfer case (1.667 ratio) is leaking pretty bad (pic below shows what leaked overnight after returning from a drive). I need to get this addressed sooner rather than later and it's well beyond my DIY appetite.

Question is what is my best bet? Do I buy a rebuilt unit to have installed? If so, is Ashcroft the go to? Or, does it make more sense to have it removed and rebuilt given the low mileage? I think I've ruled out a used unit at this point. Appreciate your guidance.

Also, anyone from NoVa going to HH at Patsy's tonight? What time do people usually show? I have a small window between 5-6 pm I would try to drop by.

· Premium Member
11,994 Posts
You need to define your problem before you try and determine a solution.
You wouldn't want your dentist to drill a hole in the wrong tooth and fill it while leaving the decayed tooth without a filling.
Likewise you need to determine exactly where the leak(s) is/are first and then decide how to fix them.
Are you even sure that the fluid underneath is even 90 WT gear oil from your LT-230?
Could it be engine oil or transmission fluid on the pavement?
If you clean the outside of the case, you'll be able to determine if and or where the leaks are and how to fix them.
There are 2 output flange seals for the driveshaft flanges and a seal between the gearbox and transfercase.
If the rear flange seal is leaking, your handbrake assembly could need replacing.
Just looking at the floor and being available for an hour to get a second opinion way not be your most realistic approach to reach the optimal solution.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You wouldn't want your dentist to drill a hole in the wrong tooth and fill it while leaving the decayed tooth without a filling.
Likewise you need to determine exactly where the leak(s) is/are first and then decide how to fix them.
Are you even sure that the fluid underneath is even 90 WT gear oil from your LT-230?
If you clean the outside of the case, you'll be able to determine if and or where the leaks are and how to fix them.
There are 2 output flange seals for the driveshaft flanges and a seal between the gearbox and transfercase.
If the rear flange seal is leaking, your handbrake assembly could need replacing.
Just looking at the floor and being available for an hour to get a second opinion way not be your most realistic approach to reach the optimal solution.
The problem is pretty clear - the transfer case is leaking from multiple places given there are various different puddles on a previously clean floor. I am certain that it's gear oil as I have been monitoring and topping off the oil as necessary. That said, I agree it makes sense to try to pinpoint the leaks, but my assumption was that any significant leaks point to removing the transfer case and replacing components or replacing the case. Thanks for your input.

· Super Moderator
14,510 Posts
That said, I agree it makes sense to try to pinpoint the leaks, but my assumption was that any significant leaks point to removing the transfer case and replacing components or replacing the case.
Most of the common leaks can be fixed with it on the truck. The only common one that can't is the intermediate shaft.

That said, you will be a lot happier with a 1.4 gear ratio. The 1.6 is horrible.

· Premium Member
11,994 Posts
You could have a loose filler or drain plug that could be leaking as well as a cracked transfer case housing, missing spedo drive seal, loose bottom cover or faulty gasket, loose rear cover, missing bolt, and so on.
The two flange seals can be replaced without removing the transfer case.
The unit must be removed to replace the seal between the transfer case and transmission.
That's exactly why it is paramount to understand exactly where the oil is leaking from.
Multiple puddles is not a guarantee that the source is from multiple leaks because oil is able to blow with the wind currents when the vehicle is driven and then drip down afterwards from multiple locations.

Reactions: BeachRunner110

· Premium Member
1991 Defender 110 Beach Runner 2 Door 200tdi
665 Posts
You would make a good preacher.

· Premium Member
Go Mundo Maya!
533 Posts
IMO it’s worth it to degrease everything, drain all the fluid out, reseal the sump plate and only install the correct capacity of fluid. This will give you a starting point BEFORE taking everything out to replace the assembly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts