Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got got back my 1994 NAS Defender 90 from the Land Rover place from being serviced. They told me that I will need a transmission sooner than later and that the bad news is you can't get that transmission that is in my 1994 Defender 90 anymore and you can get parts to rebuilt it either. So, beside putting the D90 on blocks in my front yard what am I to do? By the way it is a 5-speed manual transmission.

·
Premium Member
10,774 Posts
Apart from asking why they say that, get an r380 from Ashcroft with a few upgrades to improve longevity.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
what kind of "land rover place" would say something like this? none of that is true.

As Rocky said. All available.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
No, they are right, transmission is unobtainable. That said, I will give you $300 for he truck, and even come tow it off those blocks in the yard.

Did you get a similar pitch from your mechanic?

my suggestion, read the above, contact Dave Ashcroft, and NEVER go back to that shop. They are ill informed, and could have lead you to a huge mistake.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
you can have the LT77 i just pulled out of my truck

your mechanic is on crack FYI

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
I wonder if it actually was an LT77 and what the statute of limitations are on the R380 swaps Land Rover authorized at the dealerships.

·
Premium Member
94' NAS 3.9 Petrol D90 White soft top (LT77 -> R380, LT230)
210 Posts
I just replaced the LT-77 in my 94 NAS D90 soft top with an Ashcroft R380 with upgrades.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I wonder if it actually was an LT77 and what the statute of limitations are on the R380 swaps Land Rover authorized at the dealerships.
That would be good to know. Anyone?

·
Premium Member
15,173 Posts
If you still have the V8 LT77 that may actually be true (up and to the left for reverse), but I think Ashcroft still sells parts and sells remans for the V8 LT77, you can swap in an R380 and I would recommend doing that.

·
Premium Member
10,295 Posts
If you decide on an LT85, we are about to remove a good used one from a 110 for an engine conversion.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
hmm.. TOPix does not accept 94 VIN for checking service campaign.

Anyone have the TSB number for the LT77 problems in 94-95?

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
KGH - Add a couple of zeros to that figure and we can start to talk.
dsh12 - How long did it take to get the Ashcroft R360 from England? What upgrades are you talking about (solid gold shifter knob?)? Did shipping costs double the cost of the transmission? Did they send it over the pond on the RMS Titanic?
Saying parts and rebuilt transmission are out there is one thing. I can say Bigfoot is out also. But finding them is the problem. So if you can direct me to specific sources I would greatly appreciate it. Going to be checking out Ashcroft and SW Rovers.

·
Premium Member
10,295 Posts
Check the Ashcroft site.
All the upgrades are listed with separate cost.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
KGH - Add a couple of zeros to that figure and we can start to talk.
dsh12 - How long did it take to get the Ashcroft R360 from England? What upgrades are you talking about (solid gold shifter knob?)? Did shipping costs double the cost of the transmission? Did they send it over the pond on the RMS Titanic?
Saying parts and rebuilt transmission are out there is one thing. I can say Bigfoot is out also. But finding them is the problem. So if you can direct me to specific sources I would greatly appreciate it. Going to be checking out Ashcroft and SW Rovers.
already sent to you.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Check the Ashcroft site.
All the upgrades are listed with separate cost.
All I know about a transmissions is how to shift it into gear! So a list of upgrades to me is just a list of information I do not understand. I would a knowledgeable person to recommend upgrade would be needed and why.

Reactions: rdavisinva

·
Premium Member
10,295 Posts
In order to get a recommendation please state what your use case is for the vehicle.
OR
Do you want the transmission to function exactly like it did before you were told it was on it's last leg.

And to further the analysis, how do you know that you actually need a new transmission?
What is the transmission behavior that leads you to believe that you need to replace it?
Other than being told by a shop that you will soon need a new transmission, what factual information is available for you to report?

·
Super Moderator
13,021 Posts
The shipping costs are shown immediately on Ashcroft’s site. Just add your location.

Step one. Determine if you have an LT77 or R380. Where is reverse on the shifter?

You can get a rebuilt box of either type.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts