Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previous owner installed a Sony head unit that works, but has the typical disco lights, equalizer bars, and tiny buttons that I hate.
I'd like to find a unit that has bluetooth, and simple, more industrial looking faceplate. Yes, I know the noise level in the truck is not conducive to high quality listening, but I do want it for taking phone calls and streaming Pandora. ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I didn't try for the industrial look, but if you don't need a CD player these units can be really compact. I also didn't want to mess around removing the factory amp (not sure if yours is still connected?) so I bought an adapter from Crutchfield to keep using that amp under the passenger seat. Here's my pick list:

Pioneer MVH-X560BT
Metra 70-9400 Receiver Wiring Harness
Metra 40-VW12 Antenna Adapter
Kicker 41DSC654 6-1/2" 2-way Speakers

I was fully installed in less than a half hour, Bluetooth streaming and phone work great on this unit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'll be back out to the truck in a couple of weeks and can snag a photo, but I will say that it sits nice and flat in the existing space and the plastic flip cover on the center console goes right over it no problems (i.e. knob doesn't stick up too high etc.)

Seems like you can turn off the disco lights and go with a clean white LED look. The bluetooth is so good though that it reconnects and disconnects without me even thinking so all I really do is turn the volume dial.

------ Follow up post added October 2nd, 2015 11:33 AM ------

Oh, and I didn't install the mic, it would have been a wire that I would have had to run somewhere, but given this is a ST and I have the NRP Exhaust I don't think anyone could hear me if I tried to handsfree in the car.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you go Jensen (looks kinds close to the original deck which is cool), I don't see that they have the Amp control for the factory amp (I could be wrong but didn't see it in the manual). And if you bypass the factory amp, make sure you find the thread that talks about how to do that so that you don't have a problem with your OBD port.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
If you go Jensen (looks kinds close to the original deck which is cool), I don't see that they have the Amp control for the factory amp (I could be wrong but didn't see it in the manual). And if you bypass the factory amp, make sure you find the thread that talks about how to do that so that you don't have a problem with your OBD port.
Can you provide a more detailed explanation of how the neutering or removal of the the factory amp effects the OBDII port ?
Would this effect an emissions test, for those who under go an exam?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the quick responses! I'm so bling adverse when it comes to such a utilitarian vehicle.

PM RijOsho. He is our resident stereo expert. He likes the cars, the cars that go boom.
-Jeff
Like when you don't see that speed bump?

I didn't try for the industrial look, but if you don't need a CD player these units can be really compact. I also didn't want to mess around removing the factory amp (not sure if yours is still connected?) so I bought an adapter from Crutchfield to keep using that amp under the passenger seat. Here's my pick list:

Pioneer MVH-X560BT
Metra 70-9400 Receiver Wiring Harness
Metra 40-VW12 Antenna Adapter
Kicker 41DSC654 6-1/2" 2-way Speakers

I was fully installed in less than a half hour, Bluetooth streaming and phone work great on this unit.
Wow, I couldn't even get it out of the package that fast! I didn't even know there was an amp. Certainly not in the battery compartment. Looks like some reconnaissance is needed.

I replaced mine with a Jensen Heavy Duty unit, model # JCV1640BT
It has bluetooth, AM/FM & WB, an AUX & USB ports on the front.
I quite happy with it.
That looks promising as well

Even more promising!

Why not get a Mud like console. Then go double din pioneer Avic type with nav etc?
OKAY, what is a MUD console? May be going in the opposite direction with a double din unit.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
One other thing I did was install a Hirsmann antenna & a switch to retract it when I head into the brush.
When you power up the radio the antenna goes up. It will fit in the stock antenna hole with a little wrangling.
The switch (mounted next to the headlamp dimmer switch) is to interrupt the + to make it retract. This also allows you to keep the bluetooth streaming your music while running in the brush.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?partnumber=921691002&utm_source=google&utm_medium=nonpaid&utm_campaign=frooglePN&utm_term=602433001&crossref=602433001&gclid=CMjplITRpMgCFUVffgodEwIM-A

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wondering if anyone ever went with the Jensen Heavy Duty mentioned above. I'm looking for an iPod compatible radio with USB/aux/bluetooth. Also any other tips/hints on swapping the old radio out? Is it plug and play or lots of re-wiring necessary?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Buying this harness from Crutchfield at least gave me the right connector, but I did need to add a couple more wires to the harness to get it connected and controlling the factory Amp. It doesn't come with extra wires, but if you ordered 2 connectors you'd have enough extra wires. I also needed an adapter for the antenna, After I had a harness with the correct wires going to places, it was ahem, plug and play. I really do like the Pioneer unit, the bluetooth is great, it instantly connects and when I get back to the car with my phone it reconnects right where I left off. I sadly have some very expensive cars that can't manage that simple feat. I still owe a picture to this thread, sorry about that, will try next weekend...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts