Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Defender 110
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I just bought a step bumper to put on the back of my ROW Defender 110, but it seems like I’m missing two important things, being the circular inlets for the large bumper posts. Does anyone have any idea or quick tips on how I can fabricate the rear or make this work? Thank you

·
Registered
1986 Land Rover 110 County Station Wagon
101 Posts
Were they covered over somehow? My '86 has those same weird mounts for a flip down tailgate, but I had the holes in the rear cross member. You need the holes for support and to really tie it into the frame.

·
Registered
1985 Defender 110
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Does it just go through the plate, or is there a sleeve welded to the cross member plate? If I just drill a hole through the bumper plate will the be all that’s needed or do I need to weld in a 1-2” long sleeve inside the cross member plate?

I’ll probably cut off those tailgate mounts also. I didn’t know what those went to anyways and won’t ever install a tailgate.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You'd have to weld in a sleeve, not just drill the cross member. You can see the sleeve goes all the way thru to the back.

·
Registered
1985 Defender 110
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Super helpful, thank you! Seems the post on the bumper is 30mm, so I’ll find a sleeve similar ID and guesstimate the length. Nothing is ever as easy as you’d imagine or need, ha!

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
Looks like you had some major rust back there and somebody plated over that area. If you look carefully if there's places it's obvious Bondo.

Edit: looking at the center part of your rear crossmember I'm assuming that this truck got hit in the rear or the trailer it was towing got hit pretty hard. Probably why the rear crossmember has had modifications.

·
Registered
1985 Defender 110
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like you had some major rust back there and somebody plated over that area. If you look carefully if there's places it's obvious Bondo.

Edit: looking at the center part of your rear crossmember I'm assuming that this truck got hit in the rear or the trailer it was towing got hit pretty hard. Probably why the rear crossmember has had modifications.
I just sanded it down and quickly resprayed it today and didn't notice any bondo on it, but it was rusted on the inside of the cross member, so maybe worth spending the extra $$ and replacing it now.

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
I mean I could be wrong but looking at the locations of where the holes normally would be in the frame you can see some obvious ripples. So maybe it was rusted out they cut it away and just welded over it.

Either way if it's structurally in good shape I wouldn't bother replacing it. Add the holes that you need and then move on, it's already been molested so it's no big deal.

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
That rear crossmember has been replaced. Early Defenders didn’t have the sunken trailer electrics hole.
Exactly, this has the same crossmember as a TD5 style frame.

Reactions: Rocky

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I've never seen a Defender crossmember with the welded tailgate brackets like a series had, Defenders were typically bolt on, though it could have been a unique market

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think the '85 / '86 had those brackets every now and again [guess they ran out of the newer cross members and used what they had? Here is a pic of an '85 Johan sold a few months ago, and mine has the same thing [recessed trailer wiring & tailgate brackets], my cross member is original.

As Naplm00 said, OPs cross member definitely had some work done at some point. To that end, @mikewerx - I'd make sure it is structurally sound before you attach the step bumper, especially if you're going to use the hitch to tow stuff.

·
Registered
1985 Defender 110
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seems like I'll look for a new crossmember, as I plan on towing with my rig and using the step bumper and that's why I'm installing it. Doesn't seem like I can find a direct replicate as the original as @Noto is showing, so I'll get one of these from Rovers North

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
Seems like I'll look for a new crossmember, as I plan on towing with my rig and using the step bumper and that's why I'm installing it. Doesn't seem like I can find a direct replicate as the original as @Noto is showing, so I'll get one of these from Rovers North
View attachment 458234
It’s definitely time to take a good hard look at the structure of the entire chassis, not just the last two feet or so.

·
Registered
1985 Defender 110
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After further inspection, the integrity is good. Yes there are some rust spot on the back but it's all mostly surface rust and I'm not ready to be cutting up the chassis yet. The rest of the chassis is good, only some small spots of surface rust that I will mitigate but nothing past that.
I'm going to make a template and cut the hole, and weld in some sleeves. Does anyone know the approximate length of the bumper round sleeves? I'm sure I can figure something workable and it seems around 2", but just in case someone was crawling under their bumper to check, ha! Thanks guys!!

·
Premium Member
10,637 Posts
Strange, we had a TD5 here several weeks ago and it had no holes.
Just goes to show there are no hard and fast rules.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
With many variants out there, you never know. Lots of strange and unusual things out there in the Defender world.

I saw a 2002 110 a little while ago that had a factory 300 Tdi.... go figure

·
Premium Member
10,887 Posts
With many variants out there, you never know. Lots of strange and unusual things out there in the Defender world.

I saw a 2002 110 a little while ago that had a factory 300 Tdi.... go figure
Even after the 300tdi was replaced by the TD5, it stayed in production for military contracts until 2006 afaik

mil

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Even after the 300tdi was replaced by the TD5, it stayed in production for military contracts until 2006 afaik

mil
Correct!! Exactly my point! I've seen a couple of them, an '02 an an '05 which was in mint condition. I remember one person there arguing that that it couldn't possibly be factory original, even though I was explaining they were made for military contracts.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts