Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem, depending on config of the truck you may have to make your own little "extensions" for the bottom arms so that they connect over to the actually crossmember extension. Though on a 90 it *may* just mate up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Thant looks like a NAS 90 bumper on a 110 frame. Don't forget that the 110 and 90 step bumpers are different.

I have a NAS 110 bumper on my ROW 110 (2000 Td5), No issues with fitting to the frame or cross member. (added the jacking points to the bumper).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,859 Posts
you still need to make extensions if you are going NAS 90 bumper to UK/ROW 90

The NAS one bolts onto the fuel tank cradle

there is nothing in that location on a UK Spec or ROW spec 90 (exclusing maybe ones that came with the rear tank i.e late 300tdi and later.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for the replies gentlemen. Its been a huge help. I'm ok with the light fabrication work and going to move foreword on purchasing the bumper I found. Many thanks again!

·
Premium Member
4,859 Posts
I think you can get them in the UK with a different profile that fits the early trucks

·
Premium Member
4,859 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
None of the "NAS Step Bumpers" that you will find overseas are the same as what we have here. They do not have the integral welded tubing that attaches to the frame.

Most have a couple flat bars that bolt to the bumper, then to the frame, some have nothing, only held on by a couple of bolts to the cross member.

For example...

Extreme 4x4 Ltd NAS DEFENDER REAR TOW STEP

One company was even using a photo from ECR's site of an actual proper NAS 90, with the correct NAS 90 step bumper in an advert, leading you to think that was what you were buying....

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
None of the "NAS Step Bumpers" that you will find overseas are the same as what we have here. They do not have the integral welded tubing that attaches to the frame.

Most have a couple flat bars that bolt to the bumper, then to the frame, some have nothing, only held on by a couple of bolts to the cross member.

For example...

Extreme 4x4 Ltd NAS DEFENDER REAR TOW STEP

One company was even using a photo from ECR's site of an actual proper NAS 90, with the correct NAS 90 step bumper in an advert, leading you to think that was what you were buying....
While some of the knock offs are crappy....

1. Bolting the support bars at the hitch vs welding. That doesn't make it weaker. Bolts hold your entire truck together. Two (big bolts) could be stronger then two welds. As long as it is designed properly. One could make the argument that putting a 20+ year old hitch on your truck is a bad decision versus a brand new one. Those 'flat bars', at least in my experience, weigh like 5lbs each and are thick and strong as hell.

2. Carrying on to proper design. These bumpers you speak of are not modeled after the 93,94,95,97 NAS bumper, they are modeled after Land Rover part number STC50269AA, which was designed for 1998+ trucks. If the bolts were dangerous they would have stuck with their original design. For all we know the new design might be stronger. (no idea if this is true or not)

https://www.lrisolutions.co.uk/index.php/new-oem-land-rover-defender-nas-spec-rear-tow-full-width-step-90.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts