Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm listing my defender for sale after less than a year of ownership. I've taken the liberty of including a link to Carl's original ad as he did an excellent job of describing and presenting the truck. The short version is that this is NAS 219 (1995) and has a solid 300tdi installed as a new crate motor by Rover's North around 80k ago. I drive the truck daily and have used it all up and down the east coast for camping and exploring. This is my 3rd Defender an is the most reliable and comfortable of all 3. I've added approximately 10K miles since I've had it; getting to camping spots all over New England and WV and driving out to Bald Eagle State Forest in PA. The truck just goes and goes and I'd drive it cross country tomorrow. I've added cross bars and done a couple of oil changes. I've also added a little pinstriping thanks to our narrow north east forest service roads.

I live a 45 minutes ferry ride from Manhattan or a 45 minutes drive from Newark Airport, this truck is perfect candidate for a fly and drive if you have the time. I'll include a brand new Demer Box with the sale so you'll have a musical sound track. Also included will be a huge haul of spares for the motor / truck that Carl was gracious enough to include when I bought it from him.

Reason for selling so soon: My best buddy from the military passed away suddenly last month. This is the quickest way I can think of to raise some cash to do some good for his family. Beyond that, this 90 is a keeper and I'd intended to hang on to it for a long time until last month.

Carl's for sale post:

Here is a link to a fundraising page for Seth's family if anyone feels inclined to share it on their own social media I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Indeed. We are incredibly lucky to have dedicated and loyal men and women watching our backs at all hours and at enormous personal sacrifice.

One of my buddies from Boston was killed in Afghanistan in 2005. The size of his hands hinted at the size of his heart. Like Army Maj. David Connolly, it looks like Seth was 150% in every regard.

Thank you for both links. Donation sent with great appreciation.

·
Premium Member
13,822 Posts
For anyone interested in the truck, the owner here in Va that painted it bronze green and had RN do the 300 swap is a friend. Happy to put anyone in touch if they have questions.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks Doug, and thanks to you guys that have donated. It really is appreciated. This is such a solid community.

A note on this truck: in addition to being the most reliable Defender I’ve owned, it’s also the most comfortable. Those scheel-mann seats are the real deal. My girlfriend and I have driven ten hour days, up to Maine, through the Adirondacks etc and the seats help make it a bearable experience. (It’s still a diesel Land Rover, so the seats won’t make it any faster or quieter...)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Another couple of things about the truck: it's damned cool, ready to go, verifiably owned by enthusiasts, it's damned cool, has a lot of desireable features with little down-side economic risk, lacks poseur-status, and best of all, it's damned cool.

I wonder if it's too late to cancel this week's second payment to Dartmouth College? Along with all of the other suckiness about 2020, it marks the first time in adult life I'm without a Land Rover. This one checks all the boxes.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Figure I should add some pictures rather than relying solely on links:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
748 Posts
Sorry for your loss of a true hero and friend. My prayers go out the family. Donation sent.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, that’s much appreciated. And thanks again to all that have taken the time to share or even donate.

Here is a link to when the truck was on BAT; lots of detailed pictures. Note, the pictures with the white Wheels are how it currently sits:

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
Alastair,

When I was selling this truck I wanted it to go to a good home. It did. You're a good person Alastair and a good friend. If there's anything I can do to help or any questions I can answer for a new prospective buyer, don't hesitate to reach out. Sorry for your loss, my friend and best of luck with the sale.

Reactions: alastair

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry about your friend and this is a noble cause.
Can you tell me who the manufacturer of the rear opening doors that replaced the side windows is? They look pretty solid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts