Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Nice find. Not a super bargain though. Won't be long until the rest of those Japan NAS 90s can make it over.

·
Registered
Looking for a 300TDi D90
51 Posts
Nice find. Not a super bargain though. Won't be long until the rest of those Japan NAS 90s can make it over.
I've already seen a few 97 J-NAS trucks for sale over here. I thought they don't have to adhere to the 25yr rule because they're US spec. If they do how were they brought in?

·
Mendicant
8,377 Posts
The J spec trucks were a weird batch. Basically they were built too late for the 97 model year in the US a portion of the run was actually constructed before the light truck airbag requirements that killed the NAS defender came into effect. Someone enterprising bastard discovered the discrepancy and realized there was this small population of LHD Japan-spec trucks that also had US compliance labels and were built before the cutoff.

If you check out page 13 of this document then you can see the 1997 D90 VIN range that’s eligible. Some number of identical trucks also went to Japan but had VINs outside this range, these should hit the 25 year rule sometime in 2022.

·
Registered
NAS D110 #202 & ROW D110 County
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
13,912 Posts
I've already seen a few 97 J-NAS trucks for sale over here. I thought they don't have to adhere to the 25yr rule because they're US spec. If they do how were they brought in?
Had to be built before Sept 1 1997 to be within acceptable vin range. Sept 1 and after and they have to wait till 25 years old. Crux was airbags. 97 model year ends in August. Sept 1 (98 model year) trucks were required to have airbags.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts