Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1995 Defender 110 (ROW) 300TDI R380
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is Motul HD 80w90 okay to use in my transfer box, and front and rear differentials?

I would like to change these as I do not know what is in there or how long it has been in there.

How much will I need in total?

1995 Defender 110 (ROW)
300 tdi
R380

· Registered
820 Posts
SInce it carries both the GL4 and GL5 rating, I would think it is good, but overkill. Motul is an ester based CatV synthetic (expensive), and your Defender is pretty basic. You can save money and simply use dino oil or the less expensive synthetics that are widely available. I think 5 quarts will do everything.

· Super Moderator
14,510 Posts
I agree that there is no benefit to an expensive gear oil. These items don't wear out, so oil quality is not an issue. The important thing it to make sure it is topped up and does not get dirty.

· Registered
1995 Defender 110 (ROW) 300TDI R380
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree that there is no benefit to an expensive gear oil. These items don't wear out, so oil quality is not an issue. The important thing it to make sure it is topped up and does not get dirty.
thanks!

would a simple Shell Spirax 80w-90 from Pep Boys be suitable? Aside from post-wading in water, how often should this be changed and level checked?

· Super Moderator
14,510 Posts
Any gear oil is fine. 75, 80 or 85 W90

Standard change intervals are in the manual at 24000 miles. Really it is just about keeping it clean. It won’t break down.

You are really overthinking this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts