Defender Source Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
I just bought a dash and the new center console. I'll be putting it in my 1991 D110 in the spring, once i finish my LS swap. I'll post pics. The folks at ministry of defender were super easy to work with. I bought the A/C unit too.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Are you referring to an NAS style center console or has Jonathan come up with something for the shift/TC area that interfaces with the dash?? I saw his post on FB that shows a D1 trans used and then some sort of center console in that area.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Are you referring to an NAS style center console or has Jonathan come up with something for the shift/TC area that interfaces with the dash?? I saw his post on FB that shows a D1 trans used and then some sort of center console in that area.
Yes, it looks like the base NAS unit you can buy from Ashcroft of RN. They added leather and A/C

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Interested in this unit but kind of annoying their website has very few images of the install on dashes other than the puma.

I see the one image on their Facebook page with the MUDUK dash piece serving as the housing for the vents and control knobs on the 300 TDI, but this seems like a lot of cutting to justify two small directional vents.

Question: I have a perentie with no ac. Couldn’t I just have this unit push the AC through existing duct work, i.e. the defrost dash trim & the knee area vents?

Also, didn’t someone manufacture directional covers for the defrost dash trim that pushes the air toward the passengers? This seems like an easy workaround.

Dunno, anybody shed light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
842 Posts
A guy on uk forums makes some lower vents that swivel, sells them in eBay as well. If you watch the MOD video, it shows the install using a muduk dash and lr3/puma style vents with 12v booster fans. They state the fans may not be needed. The biggest thing I saw, that isn't really an issue is that you need to cut a return duct into the passenger footwell.

I plan on running this setup at some point and will likely print up some dash vent pods at the knees that accept some standard LR vents. Whole kit is about $2800 delivered, or $1900 I think for heaterbox/ac unit alone.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1990 ROW 110
374 Posts
A guy on uk forums makes some lower vents that swivel, sells them in eBay as well. If you watch the MOD video, it shows the install using a muduk dash and lr3/puma style vents with 12v booster fans. They state the fans may not be needed. The biggest thing I saw, that isn't really an issue is that you need to cut a return duct into the passenger footwell.

I plan on running this setup at some point and will likely print up some dash vent pods at the knees that accept some standard LR vents. Whole kit is about $2800 delivered, or $1900 I think for heaterbox/ac unit alone.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
These vents are too small. So i just installed this Unit on my build. I have choked off the screen vents as i have a heated windscreen and wanted to minimize the air flow to the windshield. I haven't fully tested the unit, but it can blow really good on high speed. I live in a not so "Hot" climate so I am holding off on installing additional vents as the lower ones do really well even with a 1/2 inch gap bc they are too small. I can post a pic in a bit. I thought about running two vents on the side of the Mud UK dash.

Install was very easy, and not too complicated. Had my hoses crimped to the length i need at a shop. And just need to have the unit charged up.

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Some updated pics (and video) post-install. Overall it looks like its meant to be there, I'm really happy with how it turned out. Please let me know if there are any questions. The volume of air is very impressive.

MoD Heater/Aircon kit
Mud UK Console
These vents -> 2.25 Inch Black Round Indash Vent
A few different hose fittings and other bits that Trevor sourced to route the hoses from box to compressor around the engine instead of (default) over it

Video -> New video by Daniel Finnegan

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
Looking good, but something says that you should have a by-pass valve instead of a shut off Vv to the heater?

·
Premium Member
6,363 Posts
That does look good. Curious though, but I’ve never been able to tell if these can use fresh outside air from the wing top inlet as the old units do. If not, what do you think was the rationale behind this?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Air intake is only from the passenger foot well (hole needs to be cut), wing top inlet is not used.

To hillstrubl: how or where are the low and high pressure hoses run?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Air intake is only from the passenger foot well (hole needs to be cut), wing top inlet is not used.

To hillstrubl: how or where are the low and high pressure hoses run?
Ran around the back of the engine up along the starboard side to the compressor.

Did you include foot well vents ?
Yeah, I replaced my OEM vents with swivel ones

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
That does look good. Curious though, but I’ve never been able to tell if these can use fresh outside air from the wing top inlet as the old units do. If not, what do you think was the rationale behind this?
Air intake is passenger compartment only, I believe the rationale is that there are enough cracks and gaps that its always going to have a degree of "fresh" and this also allows both the heat and AirCon to work faster.

·
Premium Member
6,363 Posts
Air intake is passenger compartment only, I believe the rationale is that there are enough cracks and gaps that its always going to have a degree of "fresh" and this also allows both the heat and AirCon to work faster.
That makes sense. Gaps for sure. Reminds me of the time Land Rover tried to recreate the Japanese “cat test” ;-)

41 - 60 of 84 Posts