Defender Source Forum banner
361 - 380 of 386 Posts

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
FWIW,
A very knowledgeable man in the om617 world mentioned to adjust the valves every 3k miles up to 4 times in the first 10-12k miles to properly reseat them not knowing what or how the previous owner/s history of it being done can make one of the biggest improvements overall.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts

Old mount on the left, new on the right

PSA: make sure to install a heat and oil shield over the right hand engine mount! I skipped this step in my haste to install a couple of years ago. The extreme heat from the nearby turbo made short work of the mount. A new mount from eBay and a heat shield made from an old license plate did the trick. I’ll install some additional heat insulation over the shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
You can also wrap the turbo in a blanket that's supposed to lower egt's around 100°, mine also did this tho it was the driver's side, the shield for reasons I don't remember wouldn't fit,but failed because of oil contamination.
2hrs to replace isn't so bad.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
I am installing a Holset HE221w turbo to the OM617. It is supposed to be a lot more efficient of a turbo than the HX30 and light years ahead of the original Garrett.

The trickiest part was getting the T25 mount of the OM617 manifold to T3 of the HE221. I found an adapter on eBay that used 2 of the 4 stock bolts. I TIG welded the parameter and then had the manifold ceramic coated. Attached is a picture of the adapter made by Mamba.

The HE221 has a M10x1.25 oil inlet. I got an M10x1.25 to AN-4 adapter off Ebay.

The drain I am getting from the person I bought the turbo from. It will have a AN-10 fitting and I have a bunch of old AN-10 hoses to use.

Air inlet elbow will be Cummins. Expensive but I didn’t feel like trying to find and fab something that will work.

Exhaust I actually had a V band and a V band clamp that was shallow enough to use.

I had to make a relocation bracket for the wastegate actuator after clocking the turbo to fit. I borrowed some of the exhaust flange bolts. Seems to fit pretty well.

Pictures attached:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Don,

Nice fab work! It looks great. I am currently working on getting an OM617 into my 110. Your build thread was actually super useful in helping me make the decision to go with the OM617.

I am excited to see how this turbo performs. Keep us posted :).

·
Premium Member
11,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #368 · (Edited)
Interesting.
That is not one of the conversions I designed and built, probably European which is not surprising since you are in Liverpool.
Suggest you start a new thread, so we don't hi-jack this one.
I have a non-turbo OM617 that hasn't been scrapped yet, will look when I get a chance and advise if I have answers for you.

Reactions: winchman

·
Registered
16 Posts
Interesting.
That is not one of the conversions I designed and built, probably European which is not surprising since you are in Liverpool.
Suggest you start a new thread, so we don't hi-jack this one.
I have a non-turbo OM617 that hasn't been scrapped yet, will look when I get a chance and advise if I have answers for you.
It would be great if you can take some photos? These engines are quite rare in the UK now
Sorry I just wrongly assumed it was for all 617 conversions, I will start a new one tomorrow

·
Registered
200 Posts
Subscribed. Looking for ideas. The 90 currently has an NA2.5D and will tune it as best as I can, but I know ultimately I will want a bit more power for daily driving.

Edit: Ended up buying a 110 ExMOD with the OM617 swap already done to it. :D

·
Super Moderator
14,216 Posts
Subscribed. Looking for ideas. The 90 currently has an NA2.5D and will tune it as best as I can, but I know ultimately I will want a bt more power for daily driving.
Beyond the fact that this thread has not been posted to in two years, Robert does not do this engine any more. His focus is on Chevy 6 cylinder conversions.

Reactions: Ephry73

·
Registered
18 Posts
Reopening an old thread. Do you still have the conversion kits available? I am very interested in doing this swap into my 1984 110.
Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
PM me your email and will put you in touch with a guy who has a new kit that was never installed.
Your dealings will be direct as other than putting the 2 of you in touch, I am not involved.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I am wondering if the stock 2.5 diesel oil cooler would be sufficient to help cool the oil of the OM617. I know the 2.5 NA is not turbocharged, but the oil cooler that came with looks pretty hefty. I also like the location of the stock cooler in front of the radiator. The stock Benz oil cooler is resting under the radiator lengthwise.

Currently with the weather we are having in NY the engine temp stays at the bottom bar even after a good half hour of warming up. I know there's no load while the motor is idling, but from having other turbocharged diesels, the temps would get to normal operating temperature within ten minutes or so of idling.

·
Premium Member
3,575 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I am wondering if the stock 2.5 diesel oil cooler would be sufficient to help cool the oil of the OM617. I know the 2.5 NA is not turbocharged, but the oil cooler that came with looks pretty hefty. I also like the location of the stock cooler in front of the radiator. The stock Benz oil cooler is resting under the radiator lengthwise.

Currently with the weather we are having in NY the engine temp stays at the bottom bar even after a good half hour of warming up. I know there's no load while the motor is idling, but from having other turbocharged diesels, the temps would get to normal operating temperature within ten minutes or so of idling.
Is there a thermostat fitted??

·
Registered
200 Posts

Thought it could be done. Found this, post #203

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am installing a Holset HE221w turbo to the OM617. It is supposed to be a lot more efficient of a turbo than the HX30 and light years ahead of the original Garrett.

The trickiest part was getting the T25 mount of the OM617 manifold to T3 of the HE221. I found an adapter on eBay that used 2 of the 4 stock bolts. I TIG welded the parameter and then had the manifold ceramic coated. Attached is a picture of the adapter made by Mamba.

The HE221 has a M10x1.25 oil inlet. I got an M10x1.25 to AN-4 adapter off Ebay.

The drain I am getting from the person I bought the turbo from. It will have a AN-10 fitting and I have a bunch of old AN-10 hoses to use.

Air inlet elbow will be Cummins. Expensive but I didn’t feel like trying to find and fab something that will work.

Exhaust I actually had a V band and a V band clamp that was shallow enough to use.

I had to make a relocation bracket for the wastegate actuator after clocking the turbo to fit. I borrowed some of the exhaust flange bolts. Seems to fit pretty well.

Pictures attached:

Any progress reports since the installation? Getting the same turbo for my OM617 when the stock unit fits the shan.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Any progress reports since the installation? Getting the same turbo for my OM617 when the stock unit fits the shan.
Sorry - I used it for a little while and then sold the whole setup a few years ago. It was nice that it would create boost right off the line. Someone on the OM617 Swap group on FB had some numbers laid out for this turbo (and many others too).

361 - 380 of 386 Posts