Defender Source Forum banner

Media blaster for home garage?

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Ibrouting 
#1 ·
Hello Defenders world..

Anyone tinker with home garage media blasters? Finding some online that hold parts probably 2 feet by 2 feet.. for $200-300 then cost of sand.

Anyone purchase one in the past that could recommend one perhaps?

#5 · (Edited)
I have the large HF cabinet and it does well. My 60 gallon compressor does work overtime if I’m doing a lot of parts. Eastwood has a scroll compressor that’s very quite at 63db and it has a 100% duty cycle so it can keep up with heavy usage, but it’s expensive. For dust I run my shop vac through a water filter. It keeps dust to a min bug I still wear a mask.

Also, make sure you have a drier on the line. Any moisture will create problems with the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Check out Harbor freight unit. It’s dirt cheap. Then YouTube Harbor Freight modifications and you will see what guys have done for just a few extra bucks and makes a huge difference. There is also a dust cyclone thing for a 5 gallon bucket and you use a shop vac for sucking dust. The cyclone draws it all in the 5 gal bracket instead of your vacuum. I have had great success. I also run a modified 60 gal harbor freight air compressor.

#10 · (Edited)
There's nothing that you can do with blasting that you cannot do (far cheaper) with chemicals. Blast cabinets are great for speed, so if you are in a hurry, blast it. If you can wait 24-48 hours while it soaks, then use chemicals.
You can also do very very well with electrolytic removal. A little slower than blasting but far faster than chemical stripping. For this you need a solution of epsom salt, a power supply and a couple steel anodes. zap zap! no rust!
One gallon of Phosphoric Acid in a 50 gallon tub makes a very effective derusting solution. If you're worried about the pets and kids getting into it, use citric acid instead and use two gallons.
For paint and grease stripping, nothing is as effective as lye. A strong lye solution does the trick, but powerwash first.before soaking.

My 5 gallon bucket has phosphoric acid solution. I can drop 20-30 pounds of rusty nuts, bolts, etc in there in the morning and by mid afternoon they're completely derusted and ready to go on to plating with zero labor on my part.

Phosphoric acid is a food additive, so it can go down the drain. Not a hazmat. Ditto lye.

Reactions: woldd90
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.