Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first Rover diesel... Rover #14. It's an '83 One Ten with 2.5TD. From all of my reading, the Block, Crank, Timing/ Cover, Turbo, exhaust manifold, etc are the common between the 2.5 and the 200. Seems the only difference may the the injector system, head, maybe cam and pistons too... and some of the ancillaries. Is this correct? Is it feasible to drop those components on to my truck, add an intercooler, and be on my way?

·
Premium Member
10,294 Posts
Maybe I'm an idiot... 2.5TD~200TDI
NO YOU'RE NOT!

There are some other differences, but this is something I've been looking into myself.
The 200 has 2 major design flaws that were corrected with the 300 TDI:
The bridge between the valves is too small and head prone to cracking and the coolant passes through the front cover which is sealed by a gasket, so when the coolant is pressurized the cover gasket blows and requires you to completely disassemble the front of the engine including the entire timing assembly (belts. gears, IP, and so on).

I have a 2.5 N/A to tear down and see how to build it into a TDI engine.
Notice the TDI and not 200TDI because I want to use a 300TDI head, pistons, injectors, and figure out how to make a front cover or modify an existing one to use something similar to the 300TDI "P" gasket.

Also you'll need a lot of 200TDI parts: oil pump, lower stiffening girtle, oil pan, and so on.
It is also possible to use the 300TDI IP.

The big milestone will be the pistons as am not sure the 300TDI ones fit the earlier rods.

·
Premium Member
10,294 Posts
From the link:
"Before you even think about putting a 300tdi cylinder head on a 200tdi block you will have to be prepared to take the pistons out and swap the piston heads for those to suit a 300tdi. The combustion chamber in the 300tdi piston crown is in a different position to that of a 200tdi to compensate for the angle that the 300tdi injectors enter the head. If you use 200tdi pistons, the combustion chamber is in a completely different place and the diesel will not burn properly."

Yes before knowing any better, I did fit a 300TDI head onto a 200TDI engine and while it seemed to run fine, it was probably not the best choice due to the differences in the pistons.

BUT

If you're going to have to rebuild the engine and need new pistons anyway, why not 300TDI ones if they fit on the 2.5 rods?
The 300TDI rockers, manifolds, valve covers, thermostat housing, and injection lines are not that hard to come by.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the link:
"Before you even think about putting a 300tdi cylinder head on a 200tdi block you will have to be prepared to take the pistons out and swap the piston heads for those to suit a 300tdi. The combustion chamber in the 300tdi piston crown is in a different position to that of a 200tdi to compensate for the angle that the 300tdi injectors enter the head. If you use 200tdi pistons, the combustion chamber is in a completely different place and the diesel will not burn properly."

Yes before knowing any better, I did fit a 300TDI head onto a 200TDI engine and while it seemed to run fine, it was probably not the best choice due to the differences in the pistons.

BUT

If you're going to have to rebuild the engine and need new pistons anyway, why not 300TDI ones if they fit on the 2.5 rods?
The 300TDI rockers, manifolds, valve covers, thermostat housing, and injection lines are not that hard to come by.
Right. Looks like people are using the 200/2.5 Front cover...

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
You are all mistaken! The 2.5 NAD is the gods promise that life is good ( and you will go deaf).! Who needs all that HP....really?

·
Premium Member
10,294 Posts
You are all mistaken! The 2.5 NAD is the gods promise that life is good ( and you will go deaf).! Who needs all that HP....really?
I can't wait for you to drive the 4JB1-T 2.8 liter Isuzu 110 Turbo Diesel.
Was on the upgrade of an overpass Saturday on the way to Mark's house to pick up the porta-power.
Driving with a garman for accurate speedo (cable broke last week).
Behind someone going 56 MPH in the left lane when an opening to pass on the right came available.
Floored it as I pulled in the right lane looked down as I went in the left lane and was going 78 MPH.
This took place in about 3 seconds just before reaching the top, so all of it was up-hill.

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
Why on earth would you want to make a 2.5 NA into a tdi?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts