Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rig currently has a 3.5L Rover V8 with a new LT85 gearbox. I am looking to upgrade the engine while I am doing some other work, but I was wondering what options I have for keeping the LT85. With any of the Rover V8s mate to the LT85? A Chevy V8? What about the Isuzu 4BD1's or other diesels?

Thanks for any advice you all might have.

Woody

·
Premium Member
10,283 Posts
All Rover V8s will mount through the D2 prior to the BMW & Ford V8s.
There is a lot more to an engine conversion that mating to the transmission.
Bulkhead, front axle, steering, frame, hood (bonnet) clearances are others to consider as well as the mounts on your frame.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Options

So, with that, does anyone have any recommendations? As I have already dumped some cash into the Rover V8 (and the new LT85) just to get the truck imported, I would like to get the best bang for my buck moving forward. While dumping the engine isn't so bad (it already needs new carbs, and is 29 years old), I'd rather not get rid of the gearbox. If I must, I must, but I'd like to see what options are available.

I've read that the Aussie Perentie model used the Isuzu diesel with the LT85, but I don't know any of the details or additional modifications needed to do so. I also don't know enough about the mechanical stuff to know whether this makes a decent package for the 110. Other options I have heard about include: other Rover V8 models (3.9L, 4.2L, etc...), but I don't know what gearboxes were used; Chevy V8 models (350s?).

What options would I have, and does anyone have any recommendations?

Woody

·
Super Moderator
12,993 Posts
Before getting into all sorts of details on how certain engine conversions can be performed, are you capable and willing to do a bunch of custom modifications to make this happen? Anything other than a Rover V8 will require some amount of custom building.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Sounds like you are confusing the LT85 and the LT95.

LT95 is a 4 speed with its own integral transfer box
LT85 is a 5 speed that mates up with the same LT230 transfer box that is in most other defenders and discos.

Both are designed only to fit the v8 bellhousing pattern.

LT95 four speed is what came with the Perenties.

If you swap to an American V8 you should probably change the transmission anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
So, with that, does anyone have any recommendations? As I have already dumped some cash into the Rover V8 (and the new LT85) just to get the truck imported, I would like to get the best bang for my buck moving forward. While dumping the engine isn't so bad (it already needs new carbs, and is 29 years old), I'd rather not get rid of the gearbox. If I must, I must, but I'd like to see what options are available.

I've read that the Aussie Perentie model used the Isuzu diesel with the LT85, but I don't know any of the details or additional modifications needed to do so. I also don't know enough about the mechanical stuff to know whether this makes a decent package for the 110. Other options I have heard about include: other Rover V8 models (3.9L, 4.2L, etc...), but I don't know what gearboxes were used; Chevy V8 models (350s?).

What options would I have, and does anyone have any recommendations?

Woody

Early OZ 110 counties came with 4bd1 or V8 with LT95, which quickly changed to LT95 in around 1985. I believe these lt95's did not have the .996 t-case gear set.

The OZ ex-adf 110's made from 87-91 (perentie) and 94-98 (bushranger) utilized the LT95a which had tappered rolled bearings, all 4x4's except for RFSV (maybe SRV too) used the .996 t-case ratio, the RSFV 110's used a 1.113 transfer case ratio. To the best of my knowledge all 6x6's used the .996 transfer case ratio. The difference in gear between the 4x4 and 6x6 was the axles, as the 4x4's used the 3.54's and the 6x6's used the 4.7's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts