21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sorry
Not familiar with those ratios
Is it for road driving ?

Depends on your motor and what kind of "road driving" you want. If you got a LS motor in it the ratio will do anything you want. If you don't have an LS, it gets to be more subjective on the motor. I can tell you the original Land rover 4 cyl petrol my truck had with these two it struggled in current highway traffic, merging etc, top speed was like 50mph. Now if you're only going around town, got something else in that has more power or revs higher you'd be just fine on road driving.

As I mention in first post, the lt230 ratio is probably most ideal for a period resto or a rockcrawler type build. But with the right parameters and expectations of it it'll do anything

·
Registered
12 Posts
So far I have the 2.5 diesel NA on a heavy 110
Tops at 55-60 on road
I don’t do off road or creaking at all
I’m planning to swap for 19j ( 200 tdi)
So now I’m not sure if this trans will
Work for me
Still I’m ignorant on these details
But that ratio is the one that came originally with the lt77 orbit was changed ?
Thanks again for all the info !

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So far I have the 2.5 diesel NA on a heavy 110
Tops at 55-60 on road
I don’t do off road or creaking at all
I’m planning to swap for 19j ( 200 tdi)
So now I’m not sure if this trans will
Work for me
Still I’m ignorant on these details
But that ratio is the one that came originally with the lt77 orbit was changed ?
Thanks again for all the info !
Both the Lt77 5 speed and the lt230 with 1.66 ratio where original to my truck with 2.0L petrol motor. All in running order when taken out. I driveline swapped to Chevy 4.8L, R380 5 speed, and Lt230 with 1.21 ratio.

The 2.5 diesel you have will be more powerful then the 2L gas motor my truck originally had but that's all I can really tell you, the 1.66 ratio transfer case was very common in my understanding

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Where are you located ?
And can someone guide me here if that ratio is the same I have in my regular lt77?
Thanks !
South central WI, zip 53705.

To try to break this down more for you. LT77 is the 5 speed transmission, generally like 95% of the time every lt77 is gonna have the same gear ratios as every other lt77 for 1-5 gear. Unless you buy a specialty gear kit or have it built special by some one like ashcroft in UK. The Lt230 is the transfer case, the thing that makes your defender a 4x4. It has high and low gears and a general gear ratio that affects the output of the transmission. In my case my Lt230 for sale here is 1.66 ratio meaning rpm will be higher at a certain speed vs a lower ratio Lt230 if your transmission gear is kept constant. Typical ratios for Lt230s are 1.21 (discoveries), 1.4 (defenders), 1.66 (defenders)

Ashcroft has a nice gear calculator on their sight you can visualize this better https://ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/ratio-calculator/

21 - 26 of 26 Posts