Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm doing the gm inline 6 swap from Robert in my '85 110. As part of it I am swapping out the original 1.66 ratio LT230 for a 1.21. From forum/internet research it seemed like it was a straight swap from Defender to Discovery 1 lt230s and vice versa. I have already sourced a 1.21 LT230 from a discovery 1 however I was unaware that a D1 used an electronic speedo or at least this unit seems to (photos below). Also the top of the TC is a little different in it has another "box" bolted on top with a few sensors, the side opposite parking break has a sensor (I'm guessing oil temp?). And the parking brake cable is coming out the left side instead of the right (truck is RHD) and doesn't use a linkage like my original.

My questions are how/if I can hook install this new TC and get the speedo to work with my speedometer in dash?

Can these additional sensors just be taped off and run without using them?

I can just take off this parking brake drum etc and swap for my original set up? Or would it be just as easy to use the new set up as is and I don't need the linkage?

I jumped in to the "deep" end with this swap and while I've got the motor in and running I wasn't prepared for the few curve balls with the clutch and now TC I'm getting now and hoping I can get this finished up and driving soon since we are down to one car and thats getting tiresome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

This is where the speedo cable installs on my original but on this one there is this electrical connector. :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
12,651 Posts
Remove the speed transducer and insert speedo cable. Keep it in case you want to change to an electronic speedo in the future. The speedometer will read wrong as the Disco uses smaller tires. If you want it closer, you will need to change the speedometer driven gear.

Unbolt the box with four bolts in top of the TC, remove the solenoid that is inside it. Reinstall and seal the cover.

You can use the old parking brake. You will need to drill and tap a couple of spots to mount the lever bracket. Just copy what is on the old box.

The item on the side is a high temperature switch. You can wire this in, if you want. The middle bottom light on the warning panel is intended for this and has the correct symbol.

·
Premium Member
9,923 Posts
The cable insert in in the spedo gear is smaller for the transducer, in fact it will be too small for your spedo cable.
Remove the transducer, then remove the gear insert completely and reinstall it with the correct gear.
Think you'll want a blue one for 7.50 X 16, but could be wrong.

The lock out can be rendered useless if you take it off and remove the solenoid inside, then reinstall with a good silicone sealer so there aren't any leaks.

Make sure the final drive gear in the transfer case that fits the 5 speed mainshaft is cross drilled. If it's late enough, it will be, but worth verifying.

Reactions: LostChord

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I've removed the lock out solenoid and sealed the cover back up. Maybe dumb question but what does the Lock out solenoid do?

I also removed the transducer and have a blue gear on the way.

I'm thinking I might wire up the high temp switch since I'm there anyway.

So that leaves what is the other sensor/wires for that are next to the lock out solenoid?

And as for gaskets/seals putting this back together I'll fit a new input seal part number ICV100000(?). Is that the only one I need to fit to bolt it up?

·
Super Moderator
12,651 Posts
So I've removed the lock out solenoid and sealed the cover back up. Maybe dumb question but what does the Lock out solenoid do?
It prevents you from shifting unless the transmission is in park or neutral.

So that leaves what is the other sensor/wires for that are next to the lock out solenoid?
It detects that you are in low range.

And as for gaskets/seals putting this back together I'll fit a new input seal part number ICV100000(?). Is that the only one I need to fit to bolt it up?
You could do the output seals and the intermediate shaft o-ring is always a good idea.

As mentioned, make sure the splines on the input gear are not worn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts