Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
I throw in some Lucas oil stabilizer with whatever conventional gear oil I am using.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Kraig, do you recall if Redline is red in color?
The MTL is red. The 75 w 90 gear oil isn't.
I use the 75/90 for diffs and transfer case and MTL for the manual trans.
Just did a full fluid change before VOT and was amazed at how smooth and quiet everything is with fresh red line.
In a pinch, I have used mobile 1 75w90 as a substitute for the red line.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Redline 75w-90 in the lt230 and front diff. Redline Heavy Shockproof in the rear diff. Why? Shockproof, a speedi-sleeve and a little more preload stopped a leak and quieted a slight whine until I get around to a proper fix.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Royal Purple max gear synthetic 75-90. It's API GL-5 AND GL-4 that doesn't corrode yellow metals which is important since I run a Roamerdrive OD

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
85w140 dino, been using it for about 40 years in Rover transfer cases and diffs. And Series gearboxes.

·
Premium Member
3,483 Posts
I use the Land Rover Genuine fluid which is 75w90 synthetic. I only use it because it is about half the price of Mobile One. I don't think it really matters what you use as long as its gear lube.

·
Super Moderator
13,018 Posts
85w140 dino, been using it for about 40 years in Rover transfer cases and diffs. And Series gearboxes.
In Georgia, sure. Come up to the arctic and try that!!

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Schaefer in everything.

Royal Purple gear oil is good stuff. But I had issues with their motor oil. Even though I changed it every 5k miles it got sludgy. I was told it was the moly separating from the oil.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
In Georgia, sure. Come up to the arctic and try that!!
Not the arctic, but I've run it year round everywhere I've lived, including Vermont, Cleveland (the OP is in Ohio) and Wisconsin.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
I just watched the Rovers North video on diff oil changes. They state that filling to the bottom of the fill hole is not the correct level. What is the correct level?

·
Super Moderator
13,018 Posts
I just watched the Rovers North video on diff oil changes. They state that filling to the bottom of the fill hole is not the correct level. What is the correct level?
??? That is the correct level. What do they say in their video?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts