Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I am about to order a stumpy R380 from Ashcroft for my 250 coversion. Picked up the engine Friday so finally making a bit of progress again. I also need a 1.2 LT230 transfer case. Do you all suggest I order this from Ashcroft as well or look for a used one from a discovery? I do not do much off roading but I am not sure it makes sense to have get them both from Ashcroft or try and save some money on finding one locally. Thanks
0326616F-EBBB-4408-8FE9-0D946E07F822.jpeg

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
They're about 200 to $250 locally at junk yards. Cheaper if you're on the west coast.

You will spend probably another $100 on bearings and seals that can be done from the outside without breaking it down.

And you also probably spend three to four hours cleaning it.

If you've got the money and your time is worth it just buy a fresh one from Ashcroft.. it'll be fully rebuilt no leaks and you can specify the type for example a 1.2 Q model. That is quite a bit quieter than an early one. Will also already come with cross drilled input gear.

Personally because I'm cheap I would just go to the junkyard and get one. If you're good at it you can pull one in less than an hour

1 - 4 of 4 Posts