Defender Source Forum banner
161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Defender 110
135 Posts
Who's painting your rig? Do they have it for a long time?

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
I took it to Chatfield auto body in Littleton, CO. Yes, it is taking a while (but they told me the timeline ahead of time, and they're sticking to it). The bulk of the time has been spent straightening and smoothing. The paint should be the fastest part of the deal. They have had the truck for about 5 weeks i believe. There are a couple of things I really like about them. First, they are as excited about the project as i am. Next, they have a guy who has worked extensively with defenders. Next, they go over every detail of the job over and over again to make sure they are doing what i want them to do. Next, they flat out said, "This could be a $5000 job, or a $35,000 job. How much do you want to spend?" This was very comforting for me. I knew what I wanted to spend, and I knew what I wanted the truck to look like, and they were very helpful in finding that balance. I didn't want it to be a showpiece, but I wanted it to be high quality and handsome. I think we found the right combo.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Looks good! What did they use on there?

I can see how painting can easily add up, it took me months to do everything.

Sean

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Looks good! What did they use on there?

I can see how painting can easily add up, it took me months to do everything.

Sean
Raptor liner! I actually like it a lot. I thought it would be a little too rough, but it has just the right texture I think.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Truck is looking amazing!
Thanks! You saw it at the very beginning of it all. I have a ministry of defender dash waiting to go in it. I’ll let everyone know how that goes. If it’s a fail, I’ll put a true puma dash in it, if I can source one. Those things are like trying to find the lindberg baby.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
The best part of all this is you are just an enthusiast who jumped right the F in the deep end and are killing it! Very cool how much you have done to make this truck exactly what you wanted.

A bunch of us are doing Schofield and Rimrocker in September is you are up for it. You could even take the other truck if this one is not dialled in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Naplm00
That's why I changed the title of this thread to, "LS3 Conversion, I'm learning a lot"!!! Thanks for letting me know. I'm not a huge fan of looking stupid on this thread, but every time I post, I learn so much from all of you. I'm compiling the whole rebuild into a book because this has been such a crazy fun learning experience. I want to have it really well documented so I can remember each awesome step.
Hey V. Thanks so much for your commitment to document the process! I'm making my way through the Chevy conversion threads on this forum and am amazed at the generosity of it's members in how much knowledge, experience & creative problem solving is offered.

Is the book you speak of available?

I'm gearing up for a 1987 90 Hardtop Gen V conversion - have been for about 10 months. Reading about journeys like yours is pulling me further away from sending the truck off to an out of state shop, and instead, have the conversion and re-skin done in phases with locals who will make space for my learning/involvement.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Hey V. Thanks so much for your commitment to document the process! I'm making my way through the Chevy conversion threads on this forum and am amazed at the generosity of it's members in how much knowledge, experience & creative problem solving is offered.

Is the book you speak of available?

I'm gearing up for a 1987 90 Hardtop Gen V conversion - have been for about 10 months. Reading about journeys like yours is pulling me further away from sending the truck off to an out of state shop, and instead, have the conversion and re-skin done in phases with locals who will make space for my learning/involvement.
Yes, the members on this forum gave me the courage to attempt the restoration (restomod?) in the first place. They are helpful for parts, advice, and support.

I will print the book once the process is complete.

And, after doing this much work on my truck (and lots more to go), here are a few things i've learned:
1. It's gonna take WAY longer than you think.
2. It's gonna cost more than you think.
3. It's even more fun/scary/educational/frustrating than you think.
4. I can't wait to do another one and use everything I've learned.

161 - 172 of 172 Posts