Defender Source Forum banner
121 - 140 of 172 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
The screw hole is just for retaining the brake drum The oil just happens to be there because it's leaking from the center. There is an oil seal behind the flange in the case of the transfer case. The big nut that you see in front of you has a thick washer and a felt seal that keeps oil from creeping up the splines behind the nut. Either the flange oil seal or the felt seal is bad. Easy to replace if you have an impact gun.

When I do this job I rightstuff glue the oil seal in place and rub the felt seal with EP Grease when installing. Buy a genuine/oem/corteco seal for the flange , cheap ones suck.
Perfect! I'll do this today. Man, this is gonna be messy. I hate the smell of TC fluid!

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Boom! Followed instructions! The transfer case is now 100% sealed, no drainage at all. Fuel lines are working beautifully. Tomorrow: more wiring. This is one of the things that intimidates me most. We'll see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
6,352 Posts
Boom! Followed instructions! The transfer case is now 100% sealed, no drainage at all. Fuel lines are working beautifully. Tomorrow: more wiring. This is one of the things that intimidates me most. We'll see how it goes.

Nice ! No house wire and no wire nuts please lol

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Nice!!! lol. Awesome job. Things like this gives me the motivation I've been lacking lately.

Sean

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Slowly checking a few more things off the list.
1. No more leaks from anywhere! I know this won’t last, but it’s a nice place to begin.
2. New steering wheel installed. I mainly put it on so I can steer the darn truck when I take it to the auto body shop for painting. Crossing my fingers I can get it there by March.
3. When the LT230 TC came from Ashcroft, there were two locations that were just empty holes. I guess they assume you keep certain parts from your previous TC. I did not. Those holes are now filled with the appropriate parts!
4. Mocking up the air intake! I have slightly too little space between the radiator fan and the alternator/belts for the air intake to just pass nicely through. So I got this awesome 4” air intake kit with various angles to help a rookie like me get this done. I have a good straight section for the max air flow sensor (that section is metal, not plastic), and I’ll get a little creative next week so I can tuck the filter under the wing without running into anything.
5. also next, more wiring, and mocking up the doors before painting. I’m really hoping that, because I didn’t change anything with the bulkhead or pillars, the brand new doors will align well (meaning I hope I just need to bend the doors a little, not adjust the pillars).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
I can't remember, did you mount your engine back a bit. That looks so easy lol. I bet you're getting excited about finishing.

Sean

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Yes, I mounted it back 2.25". It allowed me to put the fans behind the radiator, and left a decent amount of room for the air intake. I will revisit the air intake one day when my fab skills are much improved, so i can make a pretty air intake. But for now, I'm pumped!!!!

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Working on the doors. It has gone relatively smooth so far. I’ll get to the middle doors tomorrow. No, I don’t have the seals on or anything, I’m just trying to get a feel for how much bending/tweaking I need to do prior to paint.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
They look like they lined up nicely, trust me, they bend easily lol.

Sean

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
A little more progress on the doors. We aren’t perfect yet, but making progress. Funny how all I did was bolt on 3 doors with minimal fuss, and it feels like the project jumped 20 steps ahead!

also, I’m really digging the unpainted look. It’s a poor man’s Paul Smith edition!

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 Defender 110
135 Posts
A little more progress on the doors. We aren’t perfect yet, but making progress. Funny how all I did was bolt on 3 doors with minimal fuss, and it feels like the project jumped 20 steps ahead!

also, I’m really digging the unpainted look. It’s a poor man’s Paul Smith edition!
this is amazing, loving all you're doing but man does it seem like a can of worms! It's everything I'd like to do, but I know if I dive in, I'll end up doing what you are and upgrade everything. WHere in CO are you? I'm in Fort Collins and working on my newly acquired 110 as well. 💪 😅

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
this is amazing, loving all you're doing but man does it seem like a can of worms! It's everything I'd like to do, but I know if I dive in, I'll end up doing what you are and upgrade everything. WHere in CO are you? I'm in Fort Collins and working on my newly acquired 110 as well. 💪 😅
It is 100% a can of worms. My goals remain the same; make it more powerful (it has to make it up I-70 for heavens sake), quieter, and less of an oven in the summer. I set a budget, made sure my wife was on board with the insane amount of time it would take to do this project, and here we are. Lots of money, lots of time, I've learned so much about the truck, parts, vendors, and so on that I can’t wait to do it again!!!

121 - 140 of 172 Posts