Defender Source Forum banner
241 - 253 of 253 Posts

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
Trying new things…
Everything related to the Puma air ducts fts perfectly in mock-up aside from one thing! Of course! The duct from the bulkhead to the central unit just doesn’t match up with the hole in the bulkhead where the Ministry of Defender blower comes in. So… I could move the MOD unit, cut a different hole in the bulkhead, or modify the duct. I decided to try to modify the duct. I needed to remove approximately 1.5” in length. So I looked for a spot where I felt I could remove a 1.5” section, and then still be able to repair the remaining edges line-to-line. It also gave me a chance to try something new; plastic welding! Here’s what I have so far. It is air-tight, now I just need to make it look better (for pride’s sake). And I think I’m gonna wrap all of the plastic ducts with insulated tape to make the system even a fraction more efficient.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
BIG step forward! As I worked through the installation of the new bulkhead harness and chassis harness, I studied the wiring diagram ad nauseam. I had to read a lot about wiring diagrams in general, as I have never done this kind of work before. And finally the answer struck me right in the kisser… the first time I wired up my lights, I failed because I didn’t understand that the lights are routed through the hazard switch! I thought they were two different systems, so I had the switch unplugged as I went through the lighting the first time. This was a blessing in disguise, as it forced me to take a look at the whole system and find that I didn’t feel safe with its current condition. That whole fiasco lead me to purchase all new harnesses, which forced me to look closer at the diagrams, and now I’ve learned so much (as usual). Next, I’m putting in the Puma dash and therefore a Puma hazard switch. Huge thanks to the forum, because I found someone who had done this back in 2014, so I followed their instructions. So I built a new connector for the new switch, checked everything 10 times, and gave it a whirl… SUCCESS!!!! The link to the video is below the pic.
Testing the blinkers!

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
I live in Colorado. One fine day, when I finally coast on in to the DMV to get the swap blessed, I’ll have to have an evap system. I used the system from the Escalade; fuel tank pressure monitor, charcoal canister, purge valve. The purge solenoid was already on the LS, and then I put a bung in the air intake for the return of vapor. I put the canister in the right wing, just behind the headlamp. That made it easier to hook up the electrics and the hoses.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Now that you figured out the electrical system, I will pick your brain when I’m ready to pull out what hair is left on my head.
I’m still learning a ton! I found some gems on this forum that have helped a ton to convert the 1991 wiring to the Puma dash and switches. I still have a ways to go. I have to make the Ministry of defender blower, temp control, A/c switch, and so on compatible with the genuine defender Puma dials and switches. But it’s coming along nicely. I have learned 3 huge lessons with wiring: disconnect the battery, triple check (then triple check again), and have the fire extinguisher in your hand!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I will be showing my "noobness" here but can you not use the factory LS HVAC for heating and cooling after the swap? I am eyeing up doing my swap next summer, but havent gotten around to checking that part out yet.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
I will be showing my "noobness" here but can you not use the factory LS HVAC for heating and cooling after the swap? I am eyeing up doing my swap next summer, but havent gotten around to checking that part out yet.
I’m sure you could. I think it just depends on how willing you are to modify things. The nice thing about the factory HVAC system, and the Ministry Of Defender HVAC system, is that it is designed to fit with the Defender bulkhead. I don’t know how much modification you would have to do to use the factory HVAC, but if you have the skills, or if you are patient and want to learn the skills, I’m sure you could do it! And if you do, be sure to write it up on the forum with plenty of pics so that everybody else can copy you’re a genius moves if they want to!

241 - 253 of 253 Posts