Defender Source Forum banner
241 - 243 of 243 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
Trying new things…
Everything related to the Puma air ducts fts perfectly in mock-up aside from one thing! Of course! The duct from the bulkhead to the central unit just doesn’t match up with the hole in the bulkhead where the Ministry of Defender blower comes in. So… I could move the MOD unit, cut a different hole in the bulkhead, or modify the duct. I decided to try to modify the duct. I needed to remove approximately 1.5” in length. So I looked for a spot where I felt I could remove a 1.5” section, and then still be able to repair the remaining edges line-to-line. It also gave me a chance to try something new; plastic welding! Here’s what I have so far. It is air-tight, now I just need to make it look better (for pride’s sake). And I think I’m gonna wrap all of the plastic ducts with insulated tape to make the system even a fraction more efficient.



 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
BIG step forward! As I worked through the installation of the new bulkhead harness and chassis harness, I studied the wiring diagram ad nauseam. I had to read a lot about wiring diagrams in general, as I have never done this kind of work before. And finally the answer struck me right in the kisser… the first time I wired up my lights, I failed because I didn’t understand that the lights are routed through the hazard switch! I thought they were two different systems, so I had the switch unplugged as I went through the lighting the first time. This was a blessing in disguise, as it forced me to take a look at the whole system and find that I didn’t feel safe with its current condition. That whole fiasco lead me to purchase all new harnesses, which forced me to look closer at the diagrams, and now I’ve learned so much (as usual). Next, I’m putting in the Puma dash and therefore a Puma hazard switch. Huge thanks to the forum, because I found someone who had done this back in 2014, so I followed their instructions. So I built a new connector for the new switch, checked everything 10 times, and gave it a whirl… SUCCESS!!!! The link to the video is below the pic.
Testing the blinkers!
 
241 - 243 of 243 Posts
Top