Defender Source Forum banner
221 - 240 of 243 Posts

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
I pulled the looms back through the center of the bulkhead. It’s time to start turning this bulkhead into a puma bulkhead. I need two cuts in the bulkhead, and one in the trans tunnel, just to get this thing to sit flush. I’m apprehensive about my ability to do this part, and the snowball effect of all of the other parts that have to fit into and around this box. BUT! This box will allow me to direct air to the different vents in the puma dash, and that is super exciting!

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
Cutting the bulkhead so I can place the directional unit for the HVAC. Measure twice, cut once. More like look at every single pic on the web that shows a LHD puma bulkhead, make every measurement I can to calculate ratios from the pic to real life, mock up the setup a hundred times, mark the bulkhead, mock it up again, mark it again, set up the vents to make sure they will go where they are supposed to go, mark it again, CUT!

not perfect, but pretty darn good. I will need to modify the fit a tiny bit in two places for the delisted. The air intake will require some creativity. I’ll have to make something custom to get the holes to match and to harness as much air as possible. But, overall, I’m encouraged with this start. I’m so excited to have the chance to have A/C and to be able to direct the air. Awesome!

·
Registered
1 Posts
What part of CO? I just did a LS swap with a 6L80E in my defender.. In Arvada

I have a 1991 D110, currently with a 200Tdi and LT77 5 speed manual. I know very little (i'm sure this is now disgustingly obvious to all of you reading this), but I am so excited and scared (mostly excited) to move forward with this project. I already have both feet in. This motor is toast. I need my defender to be quiet, be able to routinely drive highway speeds, and be an automatic. The only off-roading it will do is on the dirt roads of colorado that get me to my fishing holes (but it will do a lot of that), and of course it will get a lot of work in deep deep snow. I realize I'm transforming it into a machine that purists may despise, but I've dreamt of having this as my daily driver since I was a kid. This will be my dream come true.

The LS3 430hp engine is on the way with a "connect and cruise" 6L80E automatic transmission. I chose the LS3 with the 6L80E based on its compatibility with the LT230 by using the products developed at RW-eng.

I look forward to hearing from you, and I'll keep you up to date on the project if you want.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Still going through mock-ups of the dash as I wait for wiring looms. I let out a huge sigh of relief when I put in the support bar and dash, it all matches up with the a/c directional unit and vents perfectly. I had to cut a notch in the support bar as it was running into the wiper motor. And I measured the holes for the bolts for the support bar no less than a hundred times before marking and drilling. Now I’m trying to decide between rivnuts and self tapping screws to hold it in place.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
Question on moving the engine mount, what doesn’t fit if you didn’t move the mount?
You have to move the transmission mounts back by the same amount. And, depending on the prop shafts you have, you may have to change those. The angels on the prop shafts were no problem. Mine just happened to be adjustable-length HD prop shafts that the previous owner installed, so I was lucky. But I didn’t have to mess with the suspension, bulkhead, hoses (I made my own so that made it better).

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
Thank you, Would everything have fit if you didn’t move the mounts ? Or is it best to start by moving everything? I am starting with a new chassis
Yes, everything fits, but you have to rearrange it. For example, you would have to put the engine intake on the rear side of the engine, and routing the hoses would be cramped. The first 50 pages or so of the original GENIV thread on this site documents it well. Overall, I like the way i have it. Either way, I think you will have to be flexible and creative with a few things.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
I decided to pull the new harness from the rear to the front. I opened a hole in the top of the chassis because the exhaust literally presses right up against the usual opening and I was sure the heat would eat through the whole harness in no time. I taped all
Of the individual plugs to protect them during passage, then I taped them again, staggering the plugs one after another to minimize the diameter of the harness as it passed. Then I covered the whole thing in braided conduit. It didn’t take much coaxing, and it all came through ok.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 · (Edited)
If the state doesn't bless this, you should move. Then visit whenever you feel like it.
No joke! Luckily, there is at least one other LS swap on this forum here in colorado, and he got his through the legitimate process. I’ve been calling the team who approves these projects for the state throughout the process, and they’ve actually been helpful and supportive. The only thing I’m struggling with in that vein is the evap system. I’m not sure how to plug the vapor hose into the air intake. So that’ll be a hurdle I have to jump soon. Wish me luck!

221 - 240 of 243 Posts