Defender Source Forum banner
201 - 220 of 243 Posts

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Cool, I went with the 8600 cause I need the big numbers to read nowadays. I got a Sony in my Jeep and I was going to say the touch screen doesn't work worth a crap.
I have a 2015 Wrangler and I LOVE it, but I hate the UConnect system. The focal speakers and sub have crossovers, a built in amp, and sound GREAT!

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Focal rocks. Great bang for the dough. Not cheap, but for the quality, I don’t feel expensive either. Love mine. I went MB Quart for my current build only because Overland Expo gave 40% discount, but sub will be Focal.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Fun with the dash! I can’t thank @hpat enough for his help! I’m putting a Dakota digital gauge cluster into my build, and mating it to a genuine puma dash. @hpat designed and printed a sick bezel and it looks unbelievable! Then I installed the functional glove box from mudstuff. It’s coming together pretty well. One day, it might even go into the defender!

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
1. Genuine seals on all of the doors, with a little help from the boys!
2. I’m converting the rear door to power locks! Now all of the doors have power locks, the front two doors have power windows. They all have genuine wiring harnesses. I haven’t done too much research to learn how to connect them to a central receiver, but of course that will be happening too.
3. As I put the seat box together, install it, and install the floor panels and transmission tunnel, I’m going a little over the top with making this this as airtight as I can. I’ve bought enough 3M silicone caulking, 3M weatherstripping, and other sealants that I should be a 3M shareholder by now. And this body better be waterproof enough to float! Of course I know better, it’ll still leak somewhere.
4. Test-firing the exmoor rubber matting, trying to see where I’ll put rubber, where I’ll put carpet, and so on.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
We got the same dash lol!

Looking good, I was trying to figure out how to do the rear door lock, is that a Puma latch or something else? I guess you need a new door card as well or does yours fit over that?

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
155 Posts

Looking good, I was trying to figure out how to do the rear door lock, is that a Puma latch or something else? I guess you need a new door card as well or does yours fit over that?

Thanks,
Sean

I cut my lock open and connected inside, drillied a hole in the bottom so I could have the relay lock recessed in the bottom of the door. I think there is another member who has a write up on it.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·

Thanks,
Sean
There's a package deal on SP4x4 to convert that comes with the compatible lock, rods, door card, etc. I'm still waiting for the harness to control it all, but otherwise it's all together. I'm so scared of the next step, getting all of the electrical mess sorted out. It almost sounds better to start from scratch.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
So after you drill out the rivets do the bolts just hold it together, I guess I could just tack weld it even. I already ran the wires to a plug and I have the actuator so that should be easy.

As far as the electrical, if you already have the forward doors working you could just tap the two wires going to another actuator. Even doing it from scratch is quite easy, I just used two relays and then connected my Viper Alarm to it or if you have an aftermarket controller that'll work also.

Sean

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just re rivited it and pounded them flat with a hammer, you could tack it as well.
and

Have a look at these two threads
I wanted to keep the tab,I think I welded a tab inside, cant remmeber

·
Registered
1985 Defender 110
222 Posts
Hey @volleymdut , Do you already have a central module to control your auto locking front doors? I've so far bought new doors from SP4x4 with auto locking on the front 4, but mine is older so I don't have and computers or modules like the newer ones. May I ask what you've bought to make the system all work?

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Hey @volleymdut , Do you already have a central module to control your auto locking front doors? I've so far bought new doors from SP4x4 with auto locking on the front 4, but mine is older so I don't have and computers or modules like the newer ones. May I ask what you've bought to make the system all work?
I don’t have a central module yet, I’m trying to see what others have used successfully.

201 - 220 of 243 Posts