Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1991 D110, currently with a 200Tdi and LT77 5 speed manual. I know very little (i'm sure this is now disgustingly obvious to all of you reading this), but I am so excited and scared (mostly excited) to move forward with this project. I already have both feet in. This motor is toast. I need my defender to be quiet, be able to routinely drive highway speeds, and be an automatic. The only off-roading it will do is on the dirt roads of colorado that get me to my fishing holes (but it will do a lot of that), and of course it will get a lot of work in deep deep snow. I realize I'm transforming it into a machine that purists may despise, but I've dreamt of having this as my daily driver since I was a kid. This will be my dream come true.

The LS3 430hp engine is on the way with a "connect and cruise" 6L80E automatic transmission. I chose the LS3 with the 6L80E based on its compatibility with the LT230 by using the products developed at RW-eng.

I look forward to hearing from you, and I'll keep you up to date on the project if you want.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should definitely remove it/sell it given the gearing and engine you will have. It's pretty straightforward to do, but will require 2 parts: 1) a cover for the back of the LT230 where the Roamerdrive is currently bolted up; and 2) a replacement input gear where the Roamerdrive used to be. Take a look at the online instructions Step 4

This is so helpful! you probably just saved me a huge delay and headache. I believe i found the right part at rovers north: Gear Transfer Mainshaft Lt 230
RN Model #: PLN398
I just emailed them to see if it is right. I'll get the cover too.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vendor for LS3/6L80 combo

Time to buy the engine. I've looked at 3 vendors who sell new engine/transmission combos, each with pros and cons. Anybody out there have a preferred/trusted vendor?

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have been looking for L83 with either 6L80E or 8L90E in Canada particularly Alberta or BC as I’m in the middle for that kind of price. Where did you get yours from.
thanks
Bal
I ordered all of the engine, transmission, and accessories from Turnkey automotive. Kolby was super responsive and helpful. They've helped with plenty of these conversions, so they knew exactly what I wanted. I bought the engine and transmission new, so it was very expensive. They programmed the ECU and the engine arrived with all of the accessories already in the right place, with the belt mounted and everything. I also bought a new transfer case from Ashcroft.

Yesterday was the first day of real work, after researching all of this on this forum for about 7 months.
We got the engine, transmission, and transfer case outta there!! we even got SOME of the fluids in the containers. The rest came up nicely with a lot of kitty litter and brake cleaner.

And if anyone wants the engine, tranny, transfer case with Roamer Drive, Front bumper/A frame, grille, light covers; I'm getting rid of them all.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
yrm and others have replacement foot wells. Or fold your own. Having access To the back of the panels is huge, for paint, too. I welded mine in and folded my own. Are you planning to swap your tunnel/bulkhead adapter? Do that now too.
I'll take a look at the footwells for sure. And the tunnel adapter has already been ordered and is on the way!

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
A little more progress... dash is out. I'm also going to sell all four of my doors. They are definitely not in perfect shape. They function well, no power windows or power locks, cards are in good shape, skins have seen a thing or two.
I can send you pics if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Here's an update on the foot wells! the driver's side was the worse of the two. We cut out 2/3 of the lower foot well, and used Kip's kindly donated plates to make a new bulkhead piece, then used the old foot plates to make a new superficial layer. On the passenger side, we cut out two small areas, wire brushed the rest, plugged the holes with a couple of patches, and again made a new superficial layers with the old foot plates, which were in perfect condition. Bring on the POR15 and goop next! Huge thanks to Zack for his unbelievable ability to weld!

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Next...
Killmat all over the bulkhead, inside and out
Heater/air conditioner from Ministry of Defender
Took out the old engine and transmission mounts
Ready to put in the new mounts and then the engine/tranny/transfer case!!!

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
It's funny what an engine swap can lead to. I've got mine all stripped down getting ready to paint and I've barely touched the engine.

Sean
Right? I was actually saving money for the new Defender, just in case. The closer it got to release, i knew it wasn't going to be what i wanted. so I took all that money and decided to make a 110 into the vehicle I really wanted it to be. This project is the funnest thing ever! Thank goodness for a friend who knows cars and all of the help from this awesome forum!

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
A productive Friday!
Engine mounts: Nick's template, pushed 2.25" rearward
Engine/tranny/spacer(cut off the ear!), plug in harness, connect LT230
Remove seat box completely
Carefully install! WHOA

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
1. Steering box resealed and mounted.
2. Will the headers fit? We'll find out soon...
3. Transmission mounts, 2.25" rearward
4. Transmission brake mounted, cable mounted to TC
5. Drive shafts reconnected, no need to change the length.
6. Gas tank, fuel pump and level sensor installed, lines laid. Awaiting Clips to secure line.
Crazy fun getting these steps knocked out.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Looks like you're off to a good start and making progress.
Are you sure you had an R380 because it looks like and LT77 in post 19.
If it in fact is a n R380 Stumpy and in good condition and you still have it, would be interested in buying it.
you may be right. I hate displaying my ignorance on this forum, but that ship has already sailed. Either way, sorry, but the engine and transmission have already found a new owner.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts